Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC RACV write off worry

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by rcheli32, Apr 4, 2015.

1. I had what I would call a minor off last weekend, I just ran off the road when I hit gravel and didn't make a corner. I thought the damage to my bike was minor because it is pretty much just cosmetic; broken plastic items, broken headlight, scratched tank, slightly bent handlebar, etc. etc. But when I got it assessed the workshop seemed to pretty quickly pick over $8K worth of items, before they even did the full inspection. I haven't seen the results of the full inspection but with the insured value of the bike about $12K I'm fretting that RACV will want to write it off.

So my question is for anyone that has dealt with RACV, or even other insurers in Victoria, and can warn me ahead of any phone call from them about what my rights are and what options I should consider if they want to write it off.

Anyone got advice for me?

2. don't crash

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. #3 uncle greg, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
    well seeing you have if the damage is that bad maybe its better written off
    concerning your rights
    check your policy

So bear Arse would you prefer my advice be
    do crash?

4. Hmmph, I don't understand why you would reply with this Greg, it's off topic and clearly antagonistic.

5. why is that?

6. I don't think you have any rights. If you chose to claim insurance. Then they do what they like. Often cheaper for THEM to write it off. Pay you out, and then Sell bike/parts to recoup their costs. Their not obliged to fix it unless they deem they can for less than the above scenarios. And it's their choice, not yours unfortunately!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Buy the bike off the insurance company and you could turn it into a track bike, and with the remainder of the dollars make it really FAST......

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. rcheli32rcheli32 I recently had an off too and the total fix price for the bike came to $4600.
    Mind you the market value for the bike is $6100

My insurance company, Swann, said the quote was borderline for being a write off however i managed to convince them to repair the bike instead. I told them that i'd have to spend time looking for a new one, getting it mechanically checked etc and that the ones for sale at the time had more kms than my bike etc.

The damage was mainly cosmetic and there was no structural / frame or motor damage. The expensive components that did have to be replaced due to damage where the front rim, and the instrument cluster as the electronics decided to die. The rest was engine covers, clutch lever, bar ends and so forth.. Simple swap and replace kinda jobs. The tank and front guard had to be fixed and resprayed as well.

If you want to keep the bike then have a chat to them. I'm not sure if you'll have much sway in that regard but it cant hurt to ask them if its only cosmetic damage.

Cheers
    Juz

• Like Like x 4
  9. It does come down to the economics of it. If it's cheaper for them to write the bike off than repair, that is what they will decide. If you buy it from them and repair it at a cheaper cost i.e.; do the work yourself, and at a later date decide to sell the bike, you'll have to disclose it is an economic write off (which a REVS check will show), this will reduce the resale value. It may just be best for it to be written off now..

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I'd rather a bike be written off than forever be riding a crashed piece of crap

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. If they want to write it off, you could always ask them what your options are. ie - would they be willing to repair it where you pay the extra / difference, or as others have mentioned you could buy it off them. In the end, the insurance company will do what they're obligated to do (cover you), but not for any more than they are required to. They may however be flexible provided that it doesn't affect the cost to them.

I too have had borderline options with other insurance companies and I found them to be quite approachable with discussing options. Not sure what RACV is like though, but can't hurt to ask.

12. With damage at 8K and counting Id be wanting a payout, even if they did repair it to me it wouldn't be the same bike I bought.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. What bike did you bin/crash?

• Like Like x 1
  14. I'm assuming its the Z1000

15. We recently went through this with a crashed car. Again, it was mainly panel damage, so largely cosmetic, but when the insured value was $13,000 and the repair bill was around $9,000 RAC (WA) wanted to write it off. We had recently spent a fair bit on the suspension, and knew the car inside and out, so convinced them our preference was to repair. They allowed that to happen. It was a negotiation, and if the costs to repair are more than the value, you have no chance. But I would suggest you talk to them if you want to keep the bike, and explain your reasons clearly, such as known service history, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Also a thing to note which some people tend to discount is the labour cost of fixing the car/bike

It might be 2000 in parts but another 2500 in labour as they have to do a full respray because you have a metal flake / pearl paint job etc, or pull the bike engine apart to replace starter motor covers due to road rash.

Just because the cost is high doesn't always mean the damage is extensive, it can also mean its a fiddly job that requires a lot of work to restore your item back to its previous condition.

My bike for example had a lot of swap over parts but also needed to have the front guard and tank fixed and resprayed.

Cheers
    Juz

• Like Like x 1
  17. I had my Gixxer knocked over in the carpark at work. No damage to the frame just cosmetic, fairings, exhaust, bar ends, mirrors etc. I got quoted 4.5k and it was insured for 6k. the insurance company which was AAMI deemed it a repairable write off and allowed me to purchase back at the agreed auction value which was 2k. I got the 6k from AAMI, paid them the 2k for the agreed auction price and spent the remaining on items and turned the bike into a track machine. I do not this was AAMI and not RACV and it was up in Darwin, NT at the time of the incident. But if they do write it off and not offer you to purchase back at the agreed auction value I would question it. Good Luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. #18 rcheli32, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
    It's the 2012 z1000, and it really is purely cosmetic damage, nothing mechanical at all. So something just feels morally wrong about writing it off...

Thanks, that's the type of experience I was curious about. If they write it off then Vicroads costs an extra $450 or so just to have them approve the repairs, which sucks a bit....

19. If it is just cosmetic, then fix it yourself...

20. I'm still happily riding the bike, so I could ignore the damage if I wanted to, or could slowly replace the scratched/broken items as I find time, but I'm not sure insurance gives me that option? The shop thinks the labour to replace all the scratched/broken plastic will be a day or two (I don't know what that cost would amount to). It would take me longer, but still is not an option unless insurance would allow me to do my own repairs.