Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

"Racist" sketch on Hey Hey

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by [FLUX], Oct 8, 2009.

1. Can someone explain to me exactly how/why this sketch was racist?

I'm aware of the history of Blackface in the USA, the B&W Minstrels, and so on. They were shows that outright set to stereotype and denigrate Africans, although oddly enough, they were also the vehicle through which African culture initially started to make its way into the white American mainstream conscience.

Was channel flipping on the night, and by pure chance happened on the sketch in action. Overall I thought it was pretty lame and not really funny at all, and largely without any redeeming entertainment value, but not once did I think that it was anything more than a bunch of guys attempting (badly) to imitate their favorite singing group. If anything, somewhat in bad taste given Michael's recent death. Not enough time has passed yet, methinks. That's separate to this racist talk though.

So, what is this all about. It's okay for actors (even badly amateurish ones) to imitate any race but Africans? Isn't that attitude racist in and of itself?

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Dunno, maybe I'm just so ignorantly "racist" that the significance of it is passing me by, or just maybe I'm not so racist that I single out ethnic group A imitating ethnic group B as being offensive, when ethnic group B imitating ethnic group A is not considered offensive.

What am I missing here? (A brain probably).
  2. It's a cultural thing, As Harry Connick Junior pointed out it would not have gone ahead in the USA.
    We here wouldn't find it racist but it is in bad taste and wasn't very funny.
    apparently Connick's father was a civil rights lawyer hence his strong objection.
  3. The U.S. is more sensitive to race issues than we are. They had the whole slavery thing and a very large percent of the population is Black or Hispanic.

We tend to poke fun at everything including your mates. It's not done to the same degree in the U.S.

I just caught what was on the ABC news and it didn't seem to be racist to me.
  4. IMO.
    It's a complex issue and needs to be seen in a larger context.
    It's not the same as Irish jokes or the same as The Kumars.
    It's not just about imitation.
    The history is important.

If there wasn't the whole history of black-face and the US race issues, it wouldn't have the same distasteful impact.

It does offend a certain segment. In the US, a significant segment.

Call it racist or just call it plain offensive to a certain racial group - it's all semantics.
  5. Ok, so every response seems to be saying that it's culturally insensitive due to USA history (which I had already pretty much figured out by myself). Australia is not the USA though.

Cultural insensitivity is not racism though. Or is it?
  6. Pfft, the yanks reckon they are the toughest country on the planet, and yet they can't take a skit that was slightly edgy over a decade ago.
    Imagine if the seppo sooks saw any of the chasers skits etc. :rolleyes:
  7. To be perfect honest it wouldn't have gone to air in the UK either, or much of the developed world for that matter.

I caught the end of it and was amazed that it was on, I actually asked my wife if it was a repeat, I don't think there's been a blackface act in the UK for nearly 30 years.

Fcuking strange
  8. As soon as they came on I cringed. Racist or not, the act was shit.

I do not think we have the same level of malicious racism here in Australia as in other parts of the world. I'd almost describe it as more innocent, ignorant in nature. In fact that might be a good way to describe this act, along with the "shit" part.

I think this has been blown a little out of proportion though.
  9. The U.S. should just HTFU.
    I'm tired of their own brand of racism propagated by "african americans" where they still use the term n****r amongst the black population and god forbid that any non-african american do so. That's racism.
  10. #10 quietman, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    It wasn't.

It was a skit about the Jackson 5.

Anybody who cringed when they saw it must have a problem with the colour of people.

When I saw it it just made sense that to do the skit properly they had to look as close to the group members.

Harry Connick made himself look like a pompous idiot last night.

And after you see this video you can see he's also a hypocrite.
  11. +1, standard NetRider advice applies here.

I have no idea what this "Blackface" business is here, all I saw was another lame Red Faces act. If someone from the US wants to judge us in the context of its own shameful stuffed-up history, then they are a bunch of self-righteous inbred hypocrites, since they are the most insular and ignorant developed country in the world.
  12. Ridiculous.
  13. I would of course expect you to say that.
  14. You made the claim, back it up.

You are the guy saying this:

Makes "sense" because "they had to look as close to the group members", the Jackson 5. I mean really, are you serious? And then you go on to claim, well, what exactly? I am racist because I cringed at it?:jerk:
  15. Yet Dave Chappelle can wear "white face" and no one gives a shit? (I don't, personally...)

Although I didn't see it, it sounds like it was done without malice... and was simply a rehash of what was apparently a popular Red Faces act from ages ago.

Political correctness, eventually it will encompass anything and everything... and society will collapse under the weight of the red tape involved in saying anything to anyone.
  16. #16 waedwe, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Well the uk did have love thy neighbour where a black and white family lived next door and called each other , honky , nig nog etc etc, Was abc tv i guess here i remember it from when i was a kid times have moved on though
    heres a old clip
  17. That's quite an ironic choice of emoticon considering your opinion on this subject :LOL:
  18. Someone who grew up in Memphis (IIRC) might understandably be especially this way on the issue.

But it aired here, not in the U.S.

They'll probably see it now because of this overblown stink. I can see Harry's point of view, but it was an amateur segment and they might not have even known who the judges were going to be when they were starting to put the show together some time back. He shouldn't take it personally - it just seems like some little thing that slipped through the cracks. It's not like stand-up comedians haven't been sending up Michael Jackson for years.

Connick seems like a pretty cool bloke, but maybe he doesn't have much of a sense of humour, or like most Yanks, just a different one to ours. That's not to say the skit was funny, but he should have seen it as harmless in the context. The crapness of most of the red Faces acts was always part of the deal.

But had the act been brilliantly funny, would that have been less offensive???
  19. Hah! Irony. Have you even read your own posts?
  20. i don't watch much TV and certainly not channel 9...but just going on the above pic...that's a blatantly obvious parody of the racial features of people of african decent/heritage....with the clear intent of making peoples of specific racial backgrounds appear foolish/stupid...if that's not racist, then i don't know what is...assuming the show is'nt broadcast live and producers knew in advance what acts would be on...completly dumbfounded as to how it made it to air in this day and age.