Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Racist fans face life bans

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Justus, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Yes

2. Yes/No; but not that extent

0 vote(s)
  3. No

0 vote(s)
  1. Racist fans face life bans

EXCLUSIVE: Peter Rolfe and Jackie Epstein
    December 23, 2007 12:00am

CRICKET fans deemed to be racist will be banned from the MCG
    for life in an unprecedented Boxing Day Test crackdown.

Undercover surveillance officers will be planted in the crowd at the
    Australia-India match as part of the zero-tolerance approach from
    Cricket Australia and the MCC.

Anyone heard using offensive taunts -- towards either side -- will
    be evicted, while serious offences will result in lifetime bans from
    the stadium.

The anti-racism plan will also include:

* CHECKS by police and staff for racist slogans on banners and placards
    being taken into the ground;

* CALLS for spectators to dob in racists in the crowd to stadium staff
    or via a new text service;

* A 24-HOUR hotline for Indian players to contact if they are racially
    abused during their stay.

Players will not escape scrutiny either, with umpires instructed to report
    anyone insulting their opponent's race, colour or religion.

Cricket Australia anti-racism officer Peter Young said: "We're taking a zero-
    tolerance approach to racism on and off the field.

"Our message to any mindless people who are thinking of going down that
    path is we won't tolerate that sort of thing.

"We will find anyone who does it, they will be ejected from the ground and
    they face life bans from ever re-entering the ground."

"The person sitting next to you in the Boonie top and drinking a VB could
    be a surveillance officer monitoring the crowd to make sure no one is being
    racist," Mr Young said.

Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds was racially vilified on tour in India
    in October.

Symonds said yesterday he expected to be singled out again by rowdy
    Indian fans.

"I always cop it," Symonds said.

Mr Young said cricket chiefs defined racism as anything that insulted, offended,
    humiliated, intimidated, threatened, discouraged or vilified on the basis of
    race, religion, colour, nationality or ethnicity.

Melbourne Cricket Club president Stephen Gough confirmed it would back
    the bans.

Equal Opportunity Victoria chief Helen Szoke commended the stance.

But Australia India Society of Victoria president Dr Gurdip Aurora said the
    measures could breach freedom of speech.

"I don't think it's too offensive to call someone a 'curry muncher' or to say 'go
    back to India',"
    he said. "It's all part of the game. And education is the only way
    to control incidents of racism -- a life ban is too harsh and it's of no help to anyone."

But Indian team spokesman Dr M.K. Shridhar backed the campaign, suggesting
    it may stop racism tarnishing the spirit of the game.

"I don't think any of us think the Australian crowd is a racist crowd. We've always
    been comfortable coming here,"
    he said.

And the owner of Richmond's Curry Munchers restaurant, Julius Noronha,
    said he believed life bans went too far.

A crowd of about 75,000 is expected at the MCG for the opening day of the
    Test, with perfect weather and a maximum temperature of 26 degrees predicted.

Public Poll: as of 23 Dec 2007

Link: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22964644-661,00.html
  2. For as long as I can remember, I've used terms for certain races.

Indians, Paki's & Sri Lankans have always been 'Curry munchers'
    in my books.

Getting booted out of a game for that, as a minimum, after all these
    years, is a touch tough I think :?

:arrow: Voted No.
  3. So you can dob people in??

Dob in the players :LOL:
  4. Damn, the title is misleading, i thought the ban was for netrider racist fans and i have a long list of them :LOL: :LOL: :p
  5. I voted 'NO' as well.

Seems a bit tough, this political correctness is going a tad far. I can understand where there coming from but sheesh.

Well at least you can still chant.............

Murralideran is a CHUCKER........clap, clap, clap, clap, clap

Come on sing along, you all know the words :LOL:

Cheers :cool:
  6. ‘Go home racists, go home racists….’ :shock:
  7. Poor umpires, now they'll cop ALL the sledging (unless, of course, they are not white blokes, in which case you can get chucked out for abusing them too!).

Seriously, though, how precious and pathetic; yet another example of some mischievous bureaucrat with nothing better to do, imagining some scenario that MIGHT happen, and getting out the sledge-hammer in case it does. 1984 is not far away; soon there will be vid-screens in every house and you will be hauled off for re-education over something you say to your children over the breakfast table :roll:.
  8. All i can tell you hornet600 is that i've already told the Kevin Red Guard about you and you'll hear them knocking soon :LOL: :LOL: So quick, go and burn the Eureka flag :shock:
  9. I think any harassment of the Indian team in Australia is more likely to be the result of backlash for how Symonds was treated in India.

I don't think life bans are appropriate.

So what? "Curry munchers" will be out but "d1ckheads" is still acceptable???
  10. LOL :LOL:
    you brothers gotta keep the shiznit outta dis!

11. +1

I am all for discouraging inappropriate language and comments, but it would be best done by the players leading by example.

Draconian blanket legislation does not seem to be a suitable solution to personal responsibility issues!

My wife is Sri Lankan - she referes to herself as a chocolate chick. Maybe she should be banned from the MSG for life!!

12. :rofl:
  13. Sweet!!!
  14. Being able to do or say whatever you want no matter who or what, is what anarchy is all about.

Being able to do or say whatever you want, as long as it allows equal space for others to do or say what they want is what democracy is all about.

Rules and regulation can be tight or loose. If Kevin happens to walk by a drunk who called 'Asian' an Australian, Kevin should not go and make legislations about hate crimes, because that was a small event and “society†will probably take care of it.

But, if in our sporting grounds for years after years we have racist attitudes, then maybe it is time for action. I would propose to shut them all down and turn them in to bike riding circuits.

In Europe, when they had problem with the Nigerians football players, they told the CLUBS that if they ALLOW their spectators to go on like that, they would end up playing in empty stadiums.. It worked like a charm….
  15. [​IMG] Pissa brother

You had me going there for a bit. Laughing thinking you'd edited
    OP & got confused when I scrolled up to see it had't been touched [​IMG]

MG --> :eek:wned:

Only when I clicked on LOL did I realise it was another site [​IMG]
  16. * A 24-HOUR hotline for Indian players to contact if they are racially
    abused during their stay.

Umm...does this mean they will take mobile phones out onto the pitch?
  17. They'll call the 12th man out & get him to make the call :)
  18. What a load of sh!t. I made a comment once. From me it was criticism, from somebody else's it would've been deemed racism. It's all a matter of perspective. Most Aussies don't mind being called skips. But ever thought that if an Asian/African/Middle Eastern/foreigner says that, they're being racist themselves? But you point this out and they're shocked and deny it...blah makes me sick.
  19. Tough call Minna. At what point is a passing comment racist abuse? But if you don't have a line, are you happy for the alternative?

It's pretty easy be funny or to make comment with adding race to it. It's like making a comment about someone's poor driving, where their race is irrelevant but is mentioned anway. To me, that's rascist.

I agree with you though. I have heard the term 'reverse racism'. Racism is racism, no matter the colour of the person spouting it. When I heard about the abuse that Symonds was copping on the last OS tour, I was pretty shocked. Didn't even know about his heritage (and didn't care either).

The problem is you reap what you sow and not only have Australian spectators been guilty of dishing it out, at least one Aussie team member was heard shouting racist profanities after being dismissed in a recent tour.
  20. India threatens to quit tour after Harbhajan is banned

India threatens to quit tour after Harbhajan is banned

Jon Pierik and Iain Payten

AN irate Indian cricket team is considering quitting the tour of Australia after spinner
    Harbhajan Singh was banned for three Tests for racially abusing Andrew Symonds.

In arguably the biggest cricketing drama since Kerry Packer's World Series split, Indian
    team spokesman Dr Shridhar three times refused to rule out the possibility the team
    would go home after Harbhajan emerged from his marathon seven-hour hearing at the
    SCG at 2.15am.

Harbhajan and Indian team management were furious he was found guilty of labelling
    Symonds a ''monkey'' during the second Test.

The fiery off-spinner maintained his innocence during the hearing which began at 7.30pm.

''The various words that are supposed to be offensive, supposed to be racist, unfortunately
    most of us don't subscribe to the fact that there is any racist thinking in any of the Indian
    team members,''
    Shridhar said.

Shridhar said the tourists were contemplating a counter-claim against Australian spinner
    Brad Hogg, who allegedly called an Indian player ''a bastard''.

Relations between the two teams are in tatters after Kumble sensationally claimed
    "there was only one team playing in the spirit of the game".

After the series of shocking umpiring decisions against the Indians, which continued yes-
    terday with Rahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly given out to contentious catches, Kumble
    said a pact between he and Ponting to "be honest" in the series had not been observed.

"We decided initially players would be honest when taking a catch," Kumble said.

"I don't need to say much. That's all I can say. We had decided we would be honest.

"We decided when a player takes a catch, the captain nods his head and he is out. Maybe that
    is what happened today."

Not since Bill Woodfull in the 1932 Bodyline series has a rival captain spoken so strongly
    against his opponents.