Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Racing and headphones...

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by phongus, Jun 7, 2009.

1. ...is it allowed, good or bad idea?

Hey everyone,

I have just started out in racing and I am still in the learning process but have found that when I am racing, I get easily distracted from the noise behind which makes me lose focus (even with ear plugs). Since it was my first time on the track at the time I got intimidated by other racers as well which contributed to my lack of concentration as well as having the attitude to "give way" rather then keeping my lines.

I have found that music is my remedy against the easily distracted mind, both on the road and off. So I thought it would be a good idea to race with music playing to keep my concentration level up...however I am not sure if it is legal or if it is a good/bad habit to get into in the first place.

If someone could help/information that would be great :D

phong =P~
  2. Work on committing your focus 100% to the track, rather than distract it with music. It is about discipline.
    Music will interfere with your spatial awareness.

No idea if it's illegal, though.
  3. No way should you be even THINKING about this....
  4. sounds fatal to me.
  5. Thanks. I will do my best to commit to concentration...though still wouldn't mind finding out if it is legal to have head phones.

phong =P~
  6. Legal on the track or road? Yes it is legal on the road. No idea about racing rules though.

As for use on track, was talking to a friend yesterday who was saying how he tried putting music on at the track and that it was very helpful.

I had the same problem when moving into the faster group of worrying about who was around me which leads to you thinking about letting others past instead of keeping good lines as you say. For that reason I found myself faster in the slower group, which is stupid. No harm in trying them for a session or two!
  7. it's not illegal. Takes away some concentration though.
  8. I might just give it a shot and see how I go. It will keep me relaxed, but hopefully not too relaxed :?

phong =P~
  9. try better earplugs, you rockgod.
  10. The real question is, what are you going to be playing?
  11. probably the best of Bette Midler....jk :p
  12. #12 phongus, Jun 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    I rather listen to ZOU8GIRUd_g[/media]]this then anything with Bette Midler...with the lyrics of that song, I'll definitely never give up :LOL:

I'll most likely listen to Pendulum (Genre = Drum and Bass) or some Hardstyle...and yes, this type of music keeps me relaxed at worst of times.

phong =P~
  13. #13 silentmalek, Jun 8, 2009
  14. #14 Ljiljan, Jun 8, 2009
    hardstyle? your soft mate. get some nosferatu and angerfist into you :LOL: that will help you relax and concentrate.
  15. Phong, do whatever you want, but I am sure you need to focus more on what is happening than listening to music.

When I was racing, I rode at 100% concentration each and every lap and didn't have any spare capacity for music, but YMMV.

I isn't illegal, it isn't in the GCR's, but try to see if you can do without.

Good luck and I am immensely jealous!
  16. What do you have to be jealous about?
  17. All those people who can race!
  18. I used to just sit and listen to some songs before the race to get me amped up, but would never consider it on the actual track. The pre-race song prep should get you going enough. Just hold your line, get yourself in the best track position for corners and you'll get used to the traffic in no time. Concentrate on following their lines and gaining experience from those ahead of you.
  19. No need to be jealous cejay, you're probably much better at riding then I am and thanks for the luck, I will need it.

GS5hundy, I have been actually following other people's lines, but some brake earlier then I do and so I slow down with them and never get the opportunity to pass...kind of scared to do so at the moment. Will listen to music while I wait prior to a race :D.

phong =P~
  20. It'd be amusing if you select the wrong playlist and ended up with a set of back to back love songs (that of course your girlfriend put on there for you).

What would that do to your laptimes? :LOL: