Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Race to Dakar

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Takamii, Jul 5, 2010.

1. I have been watching the race to Dakar with Charlie Borman

being a layman in respect to these rally type events I was wondering if anyone could explian to me how they do the navigation ?

They have that toilet roll of paper with instructions

Do they have a counter on the bike then they move that roll manually in its special display case to do their navigation ?
  2. Yep, the toilet roll has distances on it, which is then compared with a odometer. The rolls are turned via push button & electric motor these days. (That's a very simplistic overview of how it works).

You can still get manual rollers, matter of fact I'll be in the market for one soon, but not many riders use them these days.

If you want more in-depth answers, check out the advrider forum.

3. The 'roll of paper' route chart was allegedly invented by Denis Jenkinon who was Sir Stirling Moss' navigator in the 1955 Mille Miglia.....
  4. Actually the concept goes back much further - I've seen a Murray River Chart dated 1870. They were in common use by paddle steamers here and in the US.

The one I'm familiar with was hand drawn on oilcloth and was about 300mm wide on a roll to leave space for lots of annotations (rivers change constantly).
  5. Leonardo Da Vinci invented them in 1501. Part of his work for the Medici family had him designing canals to provide trafficable waterways and drainage of swaps. He also proposed an invention that run two wheels on a rail on the edge of the canal that was either towed by a horse or could be dragged by the current He proposed mounting his longe mappa on the front of this invention so the driver could navigate effectively.
  6. That man just gets more amazing the more you know about him. Where did he find the time?
  7. you have to be so specific in this forum

The 'roll of paper' route chart was allegedly invented FOR MOTORSPORT USE by Denis Jenkinon who was Sir Stirling Moss' navigator in the 1955 Mille Miglia.....

happy now??

Leonardo never drove in the Mille Miglia
  8. out at the hart Somerton range they have a Honda (durgh) dakar bike with the full kit, and one of these on board.

had a fiddle with it while i was there..
  9. Thanks for the explanation folks
  10. Have to track this down. Been looking for copies of Boorman's two By Any Means series as well.

Me feets is itchy.
  11. try this place for the best deals

For $50 + delivery you get the box set of

long way round
    long way down
    race to dakar

1500 minutes of viewing

They also have his by any means series available