Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

R6 ignition system

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by flexorcist, Oct 9, 2006.

1. a mate of mine rang yamaha for some parts the other day on an 06 R6, the dealer said they'd sold virtually no parts for them at all yet... he ended up just using alfoil for a fuse hahahahaha.......... now from what he told me these bikes have immobilisers on them, and an ignition barrel costs near on $2-2500 because you have to buy like an ENTIRE ignition system and can't just get a barrell. Is that right or are the dealers just trying to make a shitload of money??

2. I'm not sure about the Yamaha but the Honda has needs the whole system to be bought as a set ($2500 for ecu, and key set). So if you loose both keys, this is what it will cost you.
    Something to remember if you buy a bike at auction, add $2500 if the bike has no keys.
    However, if you have one key, a new key can be reprogrammed from that.
  3. The same thing applies with my Blackbird...you get 2 keys with the bike when you purchase it...there is a transponder built into the keyheads, when the key is inserted the immobiliser interogates it to make sure the code in the ECU and the keyhead match...if they do the bike will start if not it won't. You can have a max of 4 keys total cut (the 2 you get with the new bike and then 2 aditional)...if you loose em you have to replace the ECU, the keys, the keybarrel and the fuel and seat lock too. I have been told that this is approx a $2500 job. i think it is blatant profiteering...i work in the car alarm game and this technology is not new...it's been around for ages...I do not know of ANY car where you cannot simply go to a dealer and get a replacement key programmed...sure you may have to change the locks and keybarrel but no way in hell do you have to change the ECU...i wonder what the outcry would be if say Holden or Ford tried this on...i