Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

R6 Help! Carbs? Plugs? Running like a bucket!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by typhoon, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Sounds like your carb floats may have stuck in the up position, or your needles and seats may have stuck. If you can get in near the carbs, give each of them several taps with a screwdriver handle or similar, heavy, but soft object.
    You may also have dislodged soem crud from teh tank, and this could be holding the needles open. Maybe some carb cleaner in the fuel to?

Regards, Andrew.
  2. Yeah, certainly sounds like it's running rich and flooding (wide open throttle = less restriction for oxygen to get into engine, making it easier for a flooding engine to run)

Maybe it's time to take the carbs apart and give them a thorough clean with carb cleaner and compressed air? You've got 4 carbs to work with, so just compare them to each other to see what's wrong :)
  3. Defiantly a float needle not seating properly or a float hieght wrong.

It's running too rich on one cylinder at low revs and floods the spark. Then at high revs the mixture is closer to right and the plug cleans up and it runs properly.

Pull the carbs off. Pull the float bowls off and flaot and needles. spray heeps of carb cleaner about and when you put it back toget, set the float levels right.

It's not hard
  4. I've split the carb-engine seal before from a stack. It was a long time ago and I can't really remember what it did I can just remember that it ran like crap. Took me quite a while to find the problem too. I think it was on the inside so not really that visable.