Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

r6 03

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by coxy., Apr 15, 2008.

1. hi everyone, im almost of restritions and its time to start looking for an upgrade. i really like the 2003 r6 does anyone know if there was any common faults or things i should look out for when im out looking for my new bike. any help would be appreciated
    p.s if this is the wrong place to past, i hang my heed in shame

2. thanks heaps for that,it has helped the days creep by just that little bit slower until my restrictions are finished (1 month)
  3. with the 03-05s, give them heaps in 1st gear and change into 2nd at high rpm (eg redline or close). do it a couple of times if you have the opportunity. They tend to not select 2nd or pop out of 2nd gear if they've had a hard life. other than that, they are really good bikes. i almost brought one after the 01mdl i had.
  4. I've got a 03 R6 LE that I've had for a few years and I'm still really happy with it. I've researched a fair bit over the years and there are very few known issues. There was an issue with the ignition coils on some bikes, but that seems to be more in the USA and would've been sorted by now anyway.

Overall it's a very reliable bike with very few quirks. Strong engine and gearbox, although gear changes can be a bit clunky (but that's pretty common on lots of bike models).

I've had mine for about 3-4 yrs and no problems. If you have any questions, just ask.
  5. Actually I thought the earlier R6 had a reputation for shredding second gear in particular.
  6. ^ yep. on my 01mdl 2nd gear was getting a bit "special" towards the end :(
  7. As far as I know, by the 03 that was fixed.