Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

R3 vs z300 for new rider

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by rugbyfiend, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has much experience with either bike and has some recommendations for a learner.

I will be mostly commuting to work in Sydney, with some weekend rides as well. I can afford either bike and gear, and am very set on getting a bike with ABS so please don't recommend and old cheap 250.

I'm about 185cm and 85kg.

2. Have you sat on both?
    Both are great bikes mechanically and won't give you issues if you take care of them.
    Sat on the Z300 at my local dealer and its much more comfortable and upright than a R6 (haven't ridden the R3).

Throw a screen, heated handle bars, sliders and a topbox on the Z300 and it will make a great commuter.
  3. Both great bikes mate. Test them both out and see which one u prefer.
  4. Have you looked at a CBR300RA, it has ABS and is a single cylinder so it's more suitable for a commuter. Makes less power than these two but there's almost no difference below 8000rpm which is where you'll spend 95% of the time anyway. It's also a fair bit cheaper and chews less fuel.

Dyno comparison, KTM 390 thrown in as well.

If you've narrowed it down to the 2 bikes in your post then i'd go for the R3