Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

R1 knee marks

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by outactrl, May 31, 2010.

1. I was hoping someone would be able to help out with this,
    I have seen a few R1's getting around that have frame protectors where your knees dig in (they look like stickers).
    See attachments, these are on 2007 r1.

I have contacted Peter stevens (Melb CBD) and the sale rep told me the YAM part number, however Factory original ones are $80 each!
    he said to contact there accessories dept as they will be able to find an after market vers, but they never got back to me, even after i called them. must be busy, lol.
    anyway, does anyone know where i can get these?
    I am not after the Stomp Grips which go on your Tank, this is for the Frame.

Attached Files:

2. EBAY USA bro -- sure to find it there
  3. Mate what year is your R1? Those are OEM parts and should have been supplied with the bike, that is unless the bike is 2nd hand and the previous owner removed them.
  4. Just had a quick look. Part number for left hand side is 7273835-001 and cost in USD is $37.00
  5. Self adhesive rubber/plastic would do the same thing. Craft shop.
  6. Cheers lads, thanks for your help.
    its a 2005 model, thats why she doesnt have them.
  7. And the benefit of getting these is...?
  8. Frame protection from rubbing knee / grip for said knee.

9. Thank chickie, I can read. So basically its to stop the black marks from the rubber and plastic getting onto the bike? Or are knee protectors likely to scratch it?

Sounds a little OCD to me? :oops:
  10. Some frames with fancey paint jobs and powder coating etc look prettttttttttttty - it's not so much to stop marks getting onto the frame rather then the paint / powder coat been taken off the frame.

Edit: having not sat on that bike, it may also serve as a grip feature also for cornering etc...
  11. See THERE's the answer I was looking for. Thanks chick.
  12. There used to be a guy the forums under the name of Triway. He sells tank grips, you can ask for custom sizes. Might be able to cut a grip down for you to fit where you need.

13. The frame on the bike i have is black.
    i ride about 200kms a day, 5-6 days a week, and in doing so, the power coated black, is rubbing of at that point, on one side i have a highly poished setion of silver the size of a pea, on the other side its getting close to the size of a 5 cent peice.
    I had the same issue on my r6, just the way i hang on.
    The lethers i wear are a custom job from Tiger angle, and the knee protection is decent sized. it wouldn't wear through the black powder coat if i wore jeans.
    So im just after it cover the wear mark, i first noticeed it after talking to Ron Soloman (Balls Performance) years ago, one of his R1's had the same thing, except his wear marks were the size of an orange. i remember asking him about putting somethng on my R6 to stop it wearing.
    his reply was "bah.... dont worry about it, just get a new bike, bigger, better, faster" lol, great guy.