Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

R.I.P. Paul Russell (aka Drizzt, Paul.R1)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Mouth, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Rest In Peace - Paul Russell (aka Drizzt, or Paul.R1). December 11th, 2008 in a media publicised event.

Any rider death is sad, but even more so when it was someone you knew, and even more so again when it was a friend :(

I've spent much time with Paul from BBQ's, watching bike vid's and races, many day rides, days at Phillip Island, and numerous multi-day touring trips around places like Tassie and the Snowy's. One of my strongest memories is of either stopped or slow-speed rolling start 'races' on the open roads, where we pulled-up beside each other and give the finger count-down to zero before taking off and seeing whose touring laden bike had the best torque and the highest top speed.

He was a terrific character, and always up for a good laugh and gathering of friends. Like most riders, he would do anything to help out a mate and backed it up by often doing so. From multiple attempts to push start a broken-down bike on the GOR, to lending a hand and wielding a spanner for maintenance work or mods.

https://netrider.net.au/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1028
    https://netrider.net.au/forums/search.php?search_author=Paul.R1

RIP Paul. Thanks for many memories, of both you and good times. You will be remembered.

PqGbZb9. aVJ3_sS. aVJ4eqJ.

2. Too fcuken tragic!!!!!!!

We've ridden together, drank together and had eaten together too. He even pushed me on my SP1 when it ran out of fuel.

Genuine bloke, will be missed dearly by many.

RIP Paul :(

3. I don't believe that I'd met Paul, but RIP mate.

Not intending to be morbid, but was there anything that could be learned from his untimely demise that may stick in the minds of riders to be wary of the next time they're on their bike? (assuming that it was a motorcycling accident).

4. He looks like a big friendly guy. Sad news.

RIP mate.

5. Dear Mouth, Vic and all those that knew Paul - sincerest condolences. :(

Rest in Peace Paul and have a great time riding in the clouds.

6. I don't think i met him in person, but i do remember him posting here.

RIP Paul.R1

Condolences to his family and friends

7. Such sad news when any rider passes away

Rest in Peace Paul, Ride On and condolences to his family and friends

8. Rest In Peace Drizzt :(

9. I heard about this last week and although I'd never met Paul, I'd read his posts.

RIP Paul and condolences to all who knew him as a friend.

10. Rest in peace Paul your genuine funny nature will not easily be forgotten, neither will your purple gixxer with the strange headlight. My first and most lasting memory of you was on the infamous spud ride when you helped dig the spud out of the ditch, but mostly you were pointing and laughing.
    RIP Paul.

11. RIP Drizzt. You and your contributions to the riding community will never be forgotten.

12. RIP Paul. Very sad and tragic news indeed.

It's shattering to hear the loss of any rider, devastating to lose one who we know.

13. again. being someone who has never met paul i still send out my best to his family and friends. from the replies i can see he will be missed.
    RIP paul

14. :( R.I.P.

Condolences to his family and friends.

15. RIP. Very sorry to hear the news guys. My condolences to his family, friends and associates.

16. Paul and I worked together for a few years. He was always a top bloke - friendly, smart, and good for a laugh,

Most of us (including Paul) didn't really give a sh1t about the company, or customers, but Paul was one of the people who always acted professionally despite that. He could always be relied on to do the work properly.

Paul was one of the people who encouraged me to start riding in the first place. Once I started he continued to provide great advice on gear, and riding in general.

He'll be greatly missed.

17. The little I've heard about the accident is very very sobering. :(

RIP dude.

18. RIP - sincere condolences to family and friends..

19. My condolences to friends and family. RIP Paul