Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

R.I.P Martin Finnegan

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by robbied, May 7, 2008.

1. A very talented rider, competing in the most dangerous form of our sport. He did what he loved and he was damn good at it. I enjoyed watching him race and fight hard for the win.

2. #2 Deadsy, May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  3. This was flagged on another forum I frequent, last night. Very sad news; he was a seriously great competitor, but it does again point up the hideous dangers of the second-tier British and Irish circuits. In his case, he was trying to avoid another competitor's accident and ran out of road. :(.
  4. How can they ever make these races "safe"? It's a shame that death seems to be so common in this form of the sport.
  5. You can't make any race 'safe', in real terms, but on these circuits the risks are intrinsically greater because of kerbs, buildings and the road surface itself. As long as one person races, others will too, and then the possibility of death or injury is close to the surface. I suspect that the dangers of whizzing past walls inches away is part of the attraction of it, to be honest.
  6. I agree, Paul. I would never do it, but plenty will. The danger is a part of the thrill.
  7. And part of the attraction. Hey, I think you need balls just to spectate some these races.

A great pic:

8. Robert Dunlop has died during practice at the NW200. :(