Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

R 1200 GS adventure

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by BigScotty, Dec 20, 2006.

1. There was a review of this bike but it must have slipped off the radar cause a search doesn't find it.
    I ordered the R 1200 GS adventure about September this year and got it last week 14/12/2006.
    I took one of the GSA demo bikes for a spin around October (yes I ordered one without a test ride!) and loved every minute of it.
    I've ridden a Suzuki GS 500F for the last year and it is a great bike but it always felt so tiny to me. I'm 6" and weigh in at around 100kg.
    The GSA is fantastic to ride! It's agile at low speed, can easily do way over the legal speed limit and then some, and accelerates fast enough for me. Hell, I've spent most of my time overtaking slower bikes I thought were fast!

The bike looks heavy but once it is moving it is light as a feather. It can get heavy when you are trying to move it around in a very tight space without the engine on. I have long legs so it's not so bad.

The ABS, so far, works great and I am glad I bought it. I also got fog lights, panniers, on board computer and the alarm system. So far all of them are worth it.
    The BMW dealer here in Canberra even threw in Tourance tires for nothing after I requested them! Fantastic!

So far the bike has exceeded all my expectations. It is fast off the mark if you want it to be, agile, pretty fuel efficient (6l per 100kms), comfortable to ride and the best part of all is you can stand up at 120kms on the highway when you feel like a change of pace!

I can't think of any other bike I would rather have right now, or for the foreseeable future.

If you have the money, get one! This baby should last me a good 10 years at least.

I have my first service tomorrow after putting nearly 1000kms on the clock in a week :)
  2. Congrats BigScotty

Have ridden with quite a few GS, GSA's and even a couple of HP's recently around the Watagans - the owners all love them.

Bit big for me off-road, but they all get there eventually. Plus you have something you can easily do 1,000km days on.

You'll be surpised how well the Tourance tyres will go off road, just take it easy and maybe swap the front out for a TKC80 if you want to go to anything other than smooth gravel.

Are you into your off-road riding?

And when are you gonna post up some pics :cool: