Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Quitening the muffler

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by disassembled, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Hi,

I have a megacycle muffler on my cbr250rr, i didn't fit it. Came with the bike.

Anyway, the pipe is ridiculously loud, it sounds quite good though (well as good as a 19,000rpm hoover can be expected to)

Anyway, what methods could i use to quieten it down a little. I'm concerned about getting pinged for it, and i don't want to go back to the stock pipe because they sound really crap.

I've repacked the muffler with fibreglass a while back, but that didn't last long. I was thinking maybe i could have a baffle welded in or something. The megacycle is a straight through pipe as is.

Any ideas?

2. look up "db killer". That will give you an idea of what needs to be done, but you may struggle to find one specifically for the can.
  3. If all else fails, a bag of stainless steel pot scrubbers from the 2 Buck Shop, and some means of holding them in the can (criss-cross of wire maybe) may provide some improvement.
  4. Sounds like you may need to go back to the factory can :?
  5. Firstly, i should learn to spell.

Muffler is already fibreglass packed, so not sure that steel packing will make much diff.

Avoiding going back to the factory pipe because is sounds like a vacum cleaner.
  6. You misunderstand. I'm talking about stuffing them down the middle so the exhaust gases are forced to pass through the mesh, not wrap 'em round the perforated centre pipe like fg packing. As you say, that would do no good whatsoever.

It's not a scientific method and won't do your exhaust gas flow much good (although you can tune it by adding/removing pot scrubbers), but if you had to.....