Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Quiet Helmets

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by jfiddy, Jul 31, 2009.

1. I've got a Shark RSI and it's supposed to be a quiet helmet but I still find it pretty noisy above 80kmph. Are there any helmets on the market at this price point ($500-600) that are more quiet?

2. I have to say earplugs are the cheapest bet. Its best to have a light comfortable helmet, and let the earplugs take care of the noise. Youll be much less worn out from all the noise.
  3. Definitely get some earplugs. No helmet is quiet enough, but from memory one of the BMW models is the quietest...still need plugs though!
  4. This has been covered many times before, do a search.

What one person finds quiet, the next person will say it's the worst they have had....
  5. I've got a BMW sports integral, which is reputedly a very quiet helmet, but its still louder than I'd like. I think a lot of how quiet your helmet is really has to do with the fairings on the bike. When I tuck in under the windscreen it gets very quiet, but thats not exactly the most comfortable position to ride in.

Does anyone have any suggestion on ear plugs, whenever I've ridden with the disposable type ones, it feels like I haven't got any balance and I can't tell how the engine is revving, its very disconcerting.
  6. I too have a Shark RS1 and I have found that the wind noise above 80kph is from around the neck under the chin. A scarf quietens it down heaps.
    Don't know what to do in summer though.
  7. #7 twistngo, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  8. #8 smee, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  9. +1 on this. BMW's Sport Integral is one of the quietest on the market and they are currently selling for $450-560 depending on where you go. I bought 2 for $450 the other day at Procycles. The noise is created at the shoulders and the easiest way, without earplugs, to make it whisper quiet is to either wear a neck warmer or large turtle neck style textile jacket that reaches to the bottom of the helmet. This is for the SportIntegral anyway - much quieter than any other helmet I've tried.
  10. Wind noise

Hi there, ear plugs are a must. I have a Shoei XR 1000 and it also is very noisy at speed. It also leaks air around the visor, which u really notice when its cold. The helmet is about 18months old. Has anyone else had this problem?
  11. Reedy, same with me and my Shoei.

Just one of those things. Oddly enough, I had an Rjays helmet that I bought for next to nothing that worked ok.
  12. Yeah, that's the issue, you see. And, since none of us can afford to test every helmet for the quietest one, then it will always be a subjective call.