Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QUICK TIPS: Ten Things All Car & Truck Drivers Should Kn

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Scorpious31, Sep 7, 2007.

1. I got this from another forum I belong to and I figured its some good advice and everyone realy should be privy to it.

The link I got to it is below...http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Motorist_Awareness_tips.pdf

QUICK TIPS: Ten Things All Car & Truck Drivers Should Know About Motorcycles
    1. There are a lot more cars and trucks than motorcycles on the road, and some drivers don't "recognize" a motorcycle; they ignore it (usually unintentionally). Look for motorcycles, especially when checking traffic at an intersection.

2. Because of its small size, a motorcycle may look farther away than it is. It may also be difficult to judge a motorcycle’s speed. When checking traffic to turn at an intersection or into (or out of) a driveway, predict a motorcycle is closer than it looks.

3. Because of its small size, a motorcycle can be easily hidden in a car’s blind spots (door/roof pillars) or masked by objects or backgrounds outside a car (bushes, fences, bridges, etc). Take an extra moment to thoroughly check traffic, whether you're changing lanes or turning at intersections.

4. Because of its small size a motorcycle may seem to be moving faster than it really is. Don't assume all motorcyclists are speed demons.

5. Motorcyclists often slow by downshifting or merely rolling off the throttle, thus not activating the brake light. Allow more following distance, say 3 or 4 seconds. At intersections, predict a motorcyclist may slow down without visual warning.

6. Turn signals on a motorcycle usually are not self-canceling, thus some riders, (especially beginners) sometimes forget to turn them off after a turn or lane change. Make sure a motorcycle's signal is for real.

7. Motorcyclists often adjust position within a lane to be seen more easily and to minimize the effects of road debris, passing vehicles, and wind. Understand that motorcyclists adjust lane position for a purpose, not to be reckless or show off or to allow you to share the lane with them.

8. Maneuverability is one of a motorcycle's better characteristics, especially at slower speeds and with good road conditions, but don't expect a motorcyclist to always be able to dodge out of the way.

9. Stopping distance for motorcycles is nearly the same as for cars, but slippery pavement makes stopping quickly difficult. Allow more following distance behind a motorcycle because it can't always stop "on a dime."

10. When a motorcycle is in motion, don't think of it as motorcycle; think of it as a person.

www.msf-usa.org 4/05

2. Nice, but a few things...

number 5: You should always make sure you apply enough brake to light up your brakelight when you're engine breaking in traffic. You should never rely on others to simply know what you're doing.

number 6: Applies to ALL vehicles. Trucks especially. Those flashing amber lights on vehicles usually means that the indicators are working, and may indicate that they are merging/turning. Many bikes have gone down for trusting an indicator. (myself included)

number 9: I think you are meaning that a bike should allow more stopping distance behind other vehicles due to braking efficiency. If anything cars should leave more distance because a bike may be able to stop "on a dime".

Finially, I think people would be better drivers if they had to learn to drive both a motorcycle and a truck before getting a car license. Too may times I have seen close calls with trucks and their cut-in/swing-out. Those 'DO NOT OVERTAKE TURNING VEHICLE' signs are there for a reason. When a large trucks turns a fairly tight corner, it ususlly needs to use 2 lanes.
  3. and they are well within the law to do so, and it is the fault of the "other" road user, should there be an accident in this situation.
  4. that's something i always try to do, repeatedly tap on the rear brake as i'm slowing down or coming to a stop. anything to get the drivers attention behind me to slow down themselves.

even when waiting at the lights and the traffic is approaching to stop, i'll happily tap the brakes. a flashing (as in on/off) red light in front of them would be easier to spot than just leaving the foot on the brake for a stationary red light.