Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Quick take offs

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by roysrun, Jan 27, 2012.

1. hey everyone,
    ive been riding for about a week now (since i finally convinced dad to let me bring the bike home without him destroying it) and ive found the only thing i cant grasp is quick take offs.....

any instruction in this would be appreciated its not for being a hoon its more for a "cars coming i need to GTFO of the way"

and any advice on hill starts would be awesome i can do them but i feel like i struggle

Thanks in advance,

PS Stalled few times trying to take off quickly when practicing in a back streets....
  2. Throttle/Clutch control is one of those things that all new riders have problems with. The only answer is practice. In hill starts use the rear brake to hold you in position and then power on, start to slip the clutch and when you feel the bike wanting to move release the rear brake. In fast starts much the same but without the brake.

Find a deserted carpark and practice finding the friction point on the clutch. start up to speed brake over and over.

Good Luck :)
  3. I am also VERY interested in this: I have been riding for just over a week myself: i don't seem to have trouble with the Hill Starts ( I just have my Rear Brake on a bit, until I can feel her trying to pull away) and am fine with normal/smooth starts: but this morning on my second Day ride, a Car was coming up FAST behind me, while I was waiting at the the lights. I tried just giving more throttle, and slow off the Clutch, but she just stalled (FIRST TIME on this Bike >.<) and have no idea what I done wrong, tbh, maybe I just paniced and let the Clutch out to fast?

I was letting out the Clutch FAR slower, and it didn't even seem to get to the Friction Point before she died. Clutch fully in, quick press of start button and I was away as quick as the other car beside e at the lights, but was quite embarrassing, as well as a little scary, as the chick in the Car behind that was coming up fast had a little chuckle >.<
  4. there's probably a few other things you don't grasp yet either.

Anyway, practice, practice. Rightly or wrongly I use a similar technique for hill starts on the bike as I do in the car.

Use the rear brake to stop the bike from rolling.
    Gently release the clutch, but only as far as the friction point.
    Gently roll the thottle on, let out a bit more clutch and take your foot off the rear brake, a little more throttle and your away.

As you get more practice you can do it quicker and quicker.

Don't worry, even after 15 yrs of riding and 30yrs of driving I still stall it occaisonally, I'm sure most people do.
  5. Controlled slipping of the clutch and revs are the key to get away quickly. Too sudden a clutch release / not enough revs = bogging down, too slow and you wont get away quick / will slip the clutch too much.

Keep in mind, if you have enough power behind you and use too much revs and drop the clutch too quick will equal wheelspin / wheelie.

As has been said, practice makes perfect ;)
  6. Correct...the only answer to your problem is heeeeaps of practice. Hill starts are simple enough. Rear brake or foot brake, feed in clutch and revs release brake and pull away. There are no magic bullets...it takes time.
  7. As above - practice.

A week into riding and your muscle memory is not developed. Everything is new.

Don't rush it.
  8. You have to learn to feel it. And that is called acclimatising. Or hours in the saddle.
    Be careful and prepared of the front lifting getting it wrong a few times if your over enthusiastic.
    1. Feel it. The combination of throttle on to clutch release.
    2. Lean into it. Head as far forward as you can get it and try to stay there. Arms bent and loose.
    3. Keep your eye up and strait ahead. Try and look at least fifty meters ahead and three meters up.
  9. I find that after not being on the bike for a couple of weeks or so, I forget how much higher the bike likes to rev compared to my 4wd. For my first few takeoffs it always takes more than I think it will.
    Assertive with the throttle, gentle with the clutch works for me.
  10. It's one of those things that becomes natural, there is no magic formula.

Keep practicing, and eventually it will become second nature.

The only hint I can give is to give the throttle/clutch/brake by what feels right, not what you think is right.
  11. So I've been riding regularly for about 2 months now and I think I've got take offs and hill starts pretty well down.

As I've been building confidence and taking off a bit quicker I've started to develop a bit of an issue with slipping into neutral when making a quick shift from 1st to 2nd so I end up screaming it up and going nowhere. Hasn't caused me any grief, just some embarassment.

I'm pretty sure it's just because I'm rushing the change and I need to be concious of making a definite clutch in, shift up, release sequence. Just something to be aware of I guess.
  12. Ive developed a habit of sitting on the friction point at a set of lights to take off quickly. Is this a bad habit? I can't see why it would be, but Im open to suggestions.
  13. Cooking the clutch?
  14. Wouldn't that wear down the clutch?
  15. Sitting on the friction point should lead to greater clutch wear than either sitting in neatral with clutch out or sitting in gear with clutch in.

If you are going to do something which has a cost there should also be a benefit, so obvious question, why would you.
  16. Ummm...yes...stop it!...it's poor riding technique, with only one result, which is negative.
    If you want to stay in gear, then pull the clutch in properly.
  17. Make sure your shift lever is in the correct position for your boot, so that you get the full upwards travel of the lever when changing gears.
  18. I think there are two mistakes learners commonly make taking off-

1. letting the clutch out too quickly with insufficient revs - bike stalls.
    2. Letting the clutch out slowly while giving more throttle. as they are slow getting to the friction point they end up giving more and more revs and the motor is screaming so they drop revs and as Murphy predicts do that just as they hit the firction point so bike stalls.

The simple answer too taking off smoothly is give sufficent revs while letting the clutch out at sufficiently. How do you know what that is? You've already been told - practice.

Most times stalling on take-off is just embarrassing and won't hurt but there is a possibility if you stall in front of a car which is expecting you to move and takes off quickly behind you, you could be hit. So practice your take-offs in a quiet street or car park where there is no traffic until you get it right.

Experienced motorcyclists don't usually think too much about takeing -off because it is virtualy instinct. There hands have muscle memory and let the clutch out to just before the friction point without thinking about it. Practice will build that muscle memory and when you have done a thousand take-offs you aren't likely to stall any more. And while you are learning and until that muscle memory kicks in you do have intruments which can detect friction point - your ears. When hit friction point you will hear the engine start to slow and labour, that is when you start feeding more throttle and let the clutch out slowly.

The other reason why learners do slow take offs is that after they get the bike moving, they give it only a small amount of throttle. If you are trying to get away fast for some reason, then once rolling make sure you open up the throttle a bit more. Yo should be taking off at least as fast as the traffic with you and if you are in front preferably faster to get a gap between you and the car behind.

Finally the gear change. As Raven says don't just give a little tap and stop when you feel a bit of a click and hope that is second. Shift firmly and make sure you lift the lever all the way. Then to be sure, to be sure (St Pat's Day is coming up) hold the upward pressure on the lever with your toe until you have let the clutch out.

It's good that people have mentioned hill starts. I have seen a few riders in grief on a hill stalling time after time because the hill changes things slightly and they haven't worked that out.
  19. If doing a quick take off from the lights I don't use the clutch for the first up shift (at least), never had a problem with neutral this way.
  20. with hill starts, can you just use your foot on the ground instead of the rear brake?
    I havn't had the opportunity to try one yet....