Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Quick question about clutch/throttle cables.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by CrayolaS7, May 8, 2011.

1. Hey guys:
    I had a little trouble with my throttle sticking, it seemed to be a problem at the carburettor end where after I'd turn handle, the cable would form a loop of slack down there instead of returning properly. Inspected it as best I could without removing it (needed the bike to get to work or jump on a bus, so didn't have time). I fixed it by spraying some good quality bicycle lubricant I had down the guides and adjusting the slack so it was all at the handlebar end. That was over and month ago and I've had no issues since.

When I inspected it there was some rust/corrosion on it so I know I should replace it. I figure it's not too difficult and I might as well do the clutch too just for the practise. My question is whether I have to buy cables specific to my bike? Or do I just buy a couple of meters of cable and cut it to length? (and clamp it to stop it fraying)?