Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Quick Q - Is a yzf-R6 legal on P's

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by wingsout, Dec 23, 2008.

  1. had a quick search before asking, just want a quick answer :p

    throughout today in the city i saw 2 or 3 newish ('06+) r6's all with p-plates on the back? which up until today i thought was illegal until off p's (full license)

    so my question is ... is in anyway this legal??

    will their insurance company screw them over if crashed??

    thanks in advance,
  2. You're on restrictions for 1 year. You can start riding a bigger bike when you're in your 2nd year of your Ps. So can be legal.
  3. woah now im really confused...

    i assumed after one year = off restrictions = no p?

    or you keep p's for 3 years but can upgrade bike after 1?
  4. * if you do not already hold a car licence, you will be issued with a probationary motorcycle licence which is valid for three years.
    * if you already have a full car licence, you will be issued with a full motorcycle licence. However, all newly licensed riders, for the first 12 months, must have zero BAC, not carry a pillion passenger and have restrictions on the type of motrcycles that can be ridden. If your motorcycle licence was issued before 1 June 2008, you may ride any motorcycle not exceeding 260cc or any Learner approved motorcycle. If your motorcycle licence was issued on or after 1 June 2008 you may only ride any learner approved motorcycle. View the approved list of motorcycles for novice riders
    * if you already have a probationary car licence, you will be issued with a probationary motorcycle licence as well. The probationary period will end at the same time as your probationary car licence.

    ok i understand now :grin: :grin:

    cheers fireflind
  6. That's not what I interpreted VicRoads information. My understanding is that although they're on probationary licence, they could be off their restricted licence. That all they're limited to zero BAC and display of their Ps.

    So technically, yes it's legal, and no, the insurance company can't screw them over it (debatable as they probably will try over some other anal-retentive point).

    Correct me if I'm wrong?
  7. if you have a FULL VIC CAR LICENCE you dont have to display P PLATES at all even whilst on restrictions

    if you dont have a full car licence you have to DISPLAY P PLATE FOR 3 YEARS - However you still get off your RESTRICTONS AFTER 1 YEAR

    so you could be off your restrictions, have your fully sick R6 but still have to wear your P plates for 2 more years

    which is what you said in your second crack...but some people on here still clearly have no-idea so i hope that makes more sense to them
  8. I'm not familiar with the regulations in VIC actually. Here you have 3 months on Ls, when you get your Ps you can get on a big bike straight away if you're over 30, you just don't need to display P plates. For those not over 30, you wait 12 months then you get your full license and can ride big bikes.
  9. So much simpler than those backward victorians!
  10. hmmmm R6, quick bike dude, for a 600 the power is amazing, love mine, wouldnt swap it for anything, i wouldnt give it to P platers.