Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Quick Insurance excess question

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by gsxrjames, Oct 21, 2013.

  1. Hey hey.
    Long story short, our cage was hit and pushed into another cage over the weekend whilst parked.

    The police were called (were were unaware/asleep) so I have the at fault drivers details. He claims to be insured but hasn't yet filed a claim (checked this morning).

    In the event that we need to lodge a claim with our insurer, will we need to pay the 'driver age excess' of $600ish (both owners are under 25 and awesome)? Technically there was no driver as the damage was caused whilst parked for the night.

    My guess is, yes. I'm sure for the purposes of the policy that the 'driver,' in the event that the vehicle wasn't in operation, is deemed to be the registered owner. I'm just curious if anyone has come accross this before.

    Obviously I'll do everything I can to get the at fault party to lodge a claim first. He may stall as there was very little damage to his car and ours is barely drivable. I'm just thinking it through.

  2. With most companies, if you are not at fault and can provide the name and details of the at-fault party, then you will not have to pay excess.

    With SOME companies, depending on the nature of the claim (whether they believe liability will be contested etc), they may require you to pay excess pending the outcome being decided.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Agree with Tas man. Most of the major insurance companies will take your word for it and the conduct their investigation.

    Only when you are deemed at fault will you have to pay. It also doesn't matter if the other party is insured or not i.e its irrelevant if they have filled out their claim or not. As long as you are and have their details, your insurance company will hunt down their money.

    So just make a claim through your insurance co and get the repair fixed.
  4. As said above, if you can provide the at fault parties details then you should nto have to pay an excess. So lodge a claim and get your car fixed.

    Even if you were required to lodge a claim, then most insurers would not require the payment of an age excess. No one was in control of your vehicle at the time so no age excess can be applied.

    I say most because there are always those interesting policies out there.
  5. If the car was parked and you have the drivers full details, then I'd be getting really pissy with them about the excess. Demand to talk to their supervisor. read your contract.
  6. Really? I thought the excess was always paid when a claim is made and later refunded if the insurer determines both no fault, and recovers from the third party insurer.
  7. Nope, not always paid. Will mostly depend on the risk (as with all things insurance related).

    You claim through your insurance. It's up to the other party to determine what they want to do. They don't even HAVE to claim their insurance if they don't want to.
    • Informative Informative x 1

  8. Nope. And the excess is normally paid to the repairer (in the event it is payable ie you are at fault) when the job is completed.
  9. What you descrube used to happen in my dads days, but now, usually you lodge a claim with your insurer, provide the details of the at fault driver, if you have one or can get it, the police report. Your insurer gets you vehicle fixed and chase the at fault driver for the excess either through thier claim, or directly if they don't lodge a claim.
  10. I'd be lodging a claim with your insurer anyway. let them deal with the other party's insurer.
  11. I would if I had full comp. We both have 3rd party only, so (as the 3rd party) it's in my best interest to run the claim through his insurance to receive the largest payout and/or best repair. The cover on my policy in respect to my property is very limited.

    Anyway, I received a call from his insurer so it looks like he came through and lodged a claim. Hopefully the police report will come in quickly and it will work out.
    Still a PITA though:mad:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Huh? If you only have 3rd party, then why did you contact your insurance?

    No wonder they were asking you for excess. They were assuming you were admitting liability.
  13. He did so because 3rd party still provides limited cover for your damaged vehicle if you are not at fault and can provide details of the person who did. Once the claim is settled he'd get the excess refunded, so your assumption of the reason insurer has asked for the excess is not correct.


  14. Yup - happened to us.

    Girl driving her dads car ran up the back of ours. She was not forth coming and wouldnt give us her dads details.
    We had hers though - Called our insurance, gave them the details and they did the rest. Problem solved.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Exactly. I contacted them as in the event the guy wasn't actually insured, I've got limited coverage for damage caused by uninsured drivers ($5k i think).
    However, as he's now put in a claim and provided my details I'll just run it through his claim so a) I have greater coverage b) i don't need to pay any excess.

    I'm still unsure as to which excess needs paying (on my end) if no driver is involved but guess it doesn't matter now.
    thanks all - resolved in record time.
  16. Aaaahhhh that changes things. Didn't know you could/how to claim through 3rd party insurance. Glad it worked out
  17. You got it right in OP mate - would be the registered owner. Good you got it all sorted too (y)

    • Like Like x 1
  18. Makes sense now.