Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Quick 08 R6, Daytona 675 and 07 CBR600RR test ride

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Nuff, Dec 15, 2007.

1. I had a quick spin on 08 R6 and 675 today. I rode the R6 for 40min by myself and 675 for 10min with dealer (I also had a dealer with me when riding cbr600rr and 07 R6 previous week, about 10min each as well). Disclaimer, I might be considered a newbie since I've only been riding for 7months.

I'll start with engines since that's what every one talks about when comparing this two bikes. I've to say that the engine in 08 R6 has slightly more torque in mid range compared to 07 model. Not a huge amount, but it makes enough difference that I found myself riding at around 4k rpm instead of 6k like in 07. It still feels pretty anaemic compared to 07 CBR600RR that I've rode last week. But once the 08 R6 hits around 8000rpm (I didn't have time to look at the tacho, since I'm a newbie to this speeds on bikes), it starts pulling very hard. I would have to say much harder than 675. Below that range 675 walks all over R6, put it into 6th gear at 60km/h and it pulls away without any effort, lots of torque even at 2k rpm.

If I was comparing the bikes only on low end and mid range I would have to rank the 675 as the winner, cbr would come in 3rd and R6 would be last. But even when I had the R6 in 6th gear at 60km/h it might not have pulled as hard as the other 2 bikes, but it got up to speed pretty fast, much faster then my gs500 would in 3rd or even 2nd gear.

On the top end the R6 screams, I wasn't able to test the 675 and CBR in that range as much since I was accompanied by the dealer and they were a lot shorter rides. But I would have to say that R6 would win hands down. Exhaust note would have to go to the more grunty 675, but I also liked the R6 ramble at low rpms and it's high pitched scream higher up.

All the gearboxes were very smooth, but I really liked the R6 one, neutral is VERY easy to find, nice and smooth clutch-less up shifts and with the slipper clutch the down shifts are super smooth. I think the 08 R6 slipper clutch is a lot smoother than 07. There are no signs of rear tyre lock up and the bike isn't upset at all. All I had to do was load the gearbox lever for down-shift, depress the clutch slightly and then drop it once the lower gear is selected. The clutch makes a nice bang and you are still cruising along without need to rev match etc... Did I say that I love slipper clutch? :D The only down side is that the R6 clutch feels like an ON/OFF switch. If I want to slip it it's very hard to find the friction point. I should add that it's the only test bike I've stalled at the lights when pulling away for the first time. There's not much to say about the other bikes, their clutch is much easier to work with, but both of them lack slipper clutch, even tough it's easy to rev match, but the slipper clutch made me lazy.

As for suspension, I didn't push the bikes hard, not having much experience behind me and forking out between $1000-2000k as a premium I didn't feel like binning the bike. But I've found that the R6 ride was very firm, but not too bad when ridden on Sydney roads. It definitely didn't shake my boobs like few of the cars I've previously owned. The spring was well controlled and it followed all the road imperfections without upsetting the bike and without losing traction. My guess is that the 4 way adjustable suspension helps out a lot on this bike.

675 on the other hand I thought the suspension was crap compared to all the other bikes I've rode, it might have been misconfigured, but from what I've heard it can be a bit of a pain to get the suspension right on this bike. Small pot holes seemed to upset the bike and it had tendency to dive a lot, my uneducated guess was the springs were very soft and under damped, but it didn't feel like a very confidence inspiring ride. The R6 felt like it was on rails compared to 675 boat. But I've to say, the 675 was miles ahead of my gs500.

The CBR had nice controlled ride, no real complaints there, but I rode it on very smooth roads at olympic park and it's hard for me to compare it to the other 2.

When it comes to ergonomics for reference I should say that I'm 184cm tall, I weight 85kg, a bit more on athletic build side. Comfort wise CBR is the winner by a huge margin, very upright position which is comfy. The only problem I had with it was the lack of leg room and the seating position felt as if I was going to go over handle bars any time. Because of that it was very hard for me to see the instruments. One nice thing that CBR had was a fuel indicator. By the way, for me the leg room is a bit of a deal breaker since I've a dodgy knee and I could especially feel it when I had balls of my feet on the pegs. Another thing that I like about cbr was under emergency braking my legs just slotted into the front fairing and I didn't have to squeeze my legs as hard to keep my weight of handlebars.

Now the most uncomfortable one was the R6, the 08 model beign even worse than 07. I think my hands were lower than my knees and considering that R6 has the most leg room out of all the bikes. At least my head was very close to the instrument panel so I could see what speed I was going, very useful considering that it goes to 160 in a blink of an eye (not that I've tried it :p ). Any one who says that the 675 handbars are low should take 08 R6 for a ride, the 675 feels pretty good and the lean forward isn't too bad. Riding R6 for 40min i could start feel my butt and lower back working hard, but nothing too bad. No such aches and pains on 675, but then I only had it for 10min max. As for seat hight, I'm 184cm (6') and I've been able to flat foot every bike I got on to. 07 R6 wasn't a problem, but the 08 R6 seat must have been raised or something, since my heels were few mm off the ground and my sidi boots have small heels as well! Bringing my feet very close together I was able to flat foot the bike, but it wasn't very comfortable.

One thing I should mention when comparing the bikes is the heat, I was riding the bikes in 30C and it's a big factor at this temp. R6's heat from the radiator is pretty bad and I felt it on my left lower leg. My leg felt very hot after the 30min ride. It should be easy to fix by putting something into my perforated boots to deflect the heat. While thinking that the R6 was bad it didn't prepare me for daytona. 675's exhaust could be felt straight after I threw my leg over it, the worst part was that it didn't get any more forgiving at speed. If you have desire to know what a roasted pig's ass has to go through before it gets on the table, ride a daytona. After 10min I was more than glad to get off it. Great bike, but not for nice and warm summer days. I rode the CBR in low 20 degree weather and the exhaust felt slightly warm, but it wasn't too bad.

As for build quality, the 675 had a lot more kms than the cbr and r6, but the wear and tear on it was pretty obvious, the build quality isn't as good as the jap bikes. I've to say that the attention to detail on the R6 is slightly higher than CBR, it doesn't feel as plasticy as the other 2 bikes. Also looks are very personal and I like the look of R6 the best, followed by 675 and cbr being the last.

One more thing I should mention, when I told the yamaha dealer that I'm going to ride 675 next, he told me that they are fitting 1 tooth smaller front sprocket on Monday and I should come back and ride it one more time before I make up my mind.

Final word, which one game me the biggest smile. I have to say it was the CBR, the R6 was close, but with 675 I was thinking about my roasted butt and unnerving suspension. But once the throttle got twisted, the bike gave me big grin as well. Which bike am I going to choose? I've no idea! :?
  2. FYI:

675 is ahead of the R6 in the rwhp per kg stakes (with a rider on board) pretty much everywhere.

What the R6 does have is a flat mid-range which picks up suddenly and takes off, and it is this sudden pick-up which gives the rider the sensation that the bike is accelerating more quickly than something like a 675 which just feeds the power in quite linearly.

It's a bit like a starving man vs a well fed man. You give the starving man salada's and he'll wolf them down declaring them to be the best food on the planet. Give a well fed man salada with some cheese, onion, tomato and salt and pepper on top, and while he'll agree that it tastes pretty good, it doesn't taste half a good as when he was starving and just had the dry saladas by themselves.
  3. I'm aware of that ;) but it still doesn't fix my crispy roasted butt! :LOL:
  4. Ok, on the roasted butt issue. The only time I've ever noticed it is in stop-start city traffic on >30C days. I've ridden for extended periods on a 35C day, and so long as the speed is maintained at above 60kph, it was never a problem. It was only when crawling below 60kph where it was problematic.

I don't know what you were wearing, and/or how long the bike had been idling for, but if it'd gotten super-hot it might take more than a couple of minutes for it to cool down.

I do know that people who commute in hot weather on the 675's complain about it. Those who commute in cooler weather (<25C), or simply don't commute, don't complain. I wear full leathers myself, and they can shield you from a fair amount of heat as well.

The 675's suspension is setup race-track stiff from the factory. This can be adjusted by anyone who knows what they're doing. From your description, it sounds like a total idiot had tried to adjust it.
  5. It was a 30+ degrees today out west and I was wearing draggins, so there's not as much protection from heat as leathers.

As for suspension I wouldn't be surprised if some one was playing with it, from all the reviews I've read it was supposed to feel like it's on rails, but it was way to soft and bouncy.

I'm still going to test ride the R6 again on monday to see if 1 less tooth in front sprocket makes any difference.
  6. I maintain that any dealer that is really serious about selling a bike when offering a test-ride will take the required 10 minutes that is needed to set the bike up for the rider.

Also, remember that you can also play "drop the tooth" with any bike.
  7. I'm very well aware that sprockets can be changed on any bike, but from what I've read the R6 is higher geared than 675, top speed 270 vs 250. I could be wrong on that one, so you are more then welcome to correct me.

The biggest problem for me is going to be the exhaust and the commute. I'm changing my job soon and I'm going have a 30min ride to work in stop and go traffic and the fact that we have warmer weather in sydney, if I was in melbourne I wouldn't mind a butt heater.

I think at the moment all of the bikes I rode are way more capable then my skills can handle. And for the daily commute CBR would be perfect, except that it's service intervals are every 6k kms and 675's and R6's are every 10k kms.
  8. Ok - just so you're aware, that power/hp graph was all normalised to the same gearing. Yes, the R6 is geared taller, but even so, taking a tooth off the front still won't have it outpower the 675.

I am a little curious though about buying a super-sport bike for a daily commuting role. If that's your primary role, then yeah, the CBR would be the better choice of the three you've tested.

Still, I can't help but think that there might be a better compromise bike.

In your entire review you've seemed to omit what your final goals are for these bikes. What do you want them to do? If you want to commute and be a back-road scratcher, something like a motard or a Street Triple would be better.

If it's the occasional commute, but regular weekend scratching and the odd track-day, then you're more or less doing the right kind of riding that justifies a super-sport.

If you're hell bent on a sporting faired 600cc capacity bike, I almost can't help but think that something like a CBR600F4i would be a better bike for what you want, as opposed to a modern race-track bred super-sport.
  9. Commuting is going to be for the next 3 months, I'm a contractor so I go where my job takes me. I mostly work in the city and I use public transport.

The bike is primarily a weekend toy, one that I can hone my skills on back roads and on a track. I've done track days in cars before in cars and I love going to old pac, natio and putty. So it's definitely going to get a work out the way sports bike is supposed to be. It might have some chicken strips in the beginning, but I'm learning and improving.

Definitely one of the first things I'm going to do once the bike is broken in, is to schedule california superbike school lessons.
  10. Okay, if you want to try to take the 675 for another test-ride, here's what you'll want to set the suspension up as for your weight. Please note that the below are different to stock, but are what I'd recommend for your weight. Ignore what the dealer tries to set it as. Trust me on this.

Front Preload: 4 lines showing (top of fork hex adjusters - 14mm spanner)
    Front Rebound: 4 clicks out from full-hard (top of fork adjusters)
    Front Compression: 8 clicks out from full hard (bottom of fork adjusters)

Rear Preload: Can't adjust it without a C-spanner as standard - so unlikely to have been fiddled with
    Rear Rebound: 8 clicks out from full-hard (bottom of shock adjuster)
    Rear Compression: 9 clicks out from full-hard (top of shock adjuster)

The above will make a world of difference to the quality of the ride for you.

It's a bit of a stab in the dark from this end without actually measuring what's going on with the bike with you on it, but the above should be pretty close to about right.

IMO, the 675's motor is far more user-friendly than the others. This has its pluses and minuses, depending on your viewpoint. 'cos it's so torquey and smooth it can feel like you're not going all that quickly when really you're whipping along at a great rate. This is something that most first-time users of the 675 will notice. It doesn't feel fast, but yet you're overtaking things quite quickly.

The chassis and steering is something that rewards you more the harder you push it. You can tool about town on it if you want to, but really that's not what it's good at. Get it into the hills on some winding road, or onto a racetrack, and it'll beg you to go faster and faster. You'll tip into corners at high speeds wondering if the bike will make it without running wide, only to find yourself running off the inside of the corner 'cos it'll turn so fast.

The engine will allow you to use any gear from 2nd to 6th, at any time, all the time if you want to, and not care. It'll continue to push you along. The faster you want to go, the lower the gear you'll select. On the other 600's you'll have 1, or maybe 2 gears at best that are useful at any time, and you'll have to keep them singing and wailing on the boil dancing on the gear lever full-time to keep them moving along quickly. Want to be lazy on the 675 'cos you're getting tired? Fine. Want to be lazy on the I4 600's? Sorry.

I'll give you the hot-arse issue when wearing textiles (i.e. Draggin jeans) on a hot day in commute traffic, but to let that sell the bike short given your stated usage patterns, and to let a poorly setup demo suspension also sell it short, isn't really giving you a good sample of what it can offer.

If you've got some leather pants, put them on. Go to the dealer. Demand another test ride. Fix the suspension as per above, and then if you still prefer the R6 or the CBR600, so be it.
  11. You're obviously smitten with yours [FLUX], but you're not the only one. Pages 40 through 48 of the latest Rapid has a supersports shootout at Eastern Creek, including the 2007 600RR, the 'blade, 1098S, R1, GSXR1000, GSXR750, ZX10R, MV F4 312R and...the Daytona! :eek: Guess which one they set the fastest lap on? :LOL: That's some pretty high-end company to be beating around EC.
  12. The 675?
  13. HArd choices my friend.

I picked up the 675 cus FLUX convinced me.. :LOL: :LOL:

I have 2 mate with the CBR & the thing takes no effort to ride. I think I would be comfortable riding around town straight after getting my Ls. Confidence boosting ++. The low speed work is just so easy on the Honda. Also mirrors which work if you care.

The 675 does burn you but that thats another case for me not to wear work pants whilst riding.

Its also a narrow bike so great for filtering & it does pull hard.

Haven't tried the 08R6 but for me it was looks & the best deal at the time.

Great bikes all round so no regrets.
  14. Yep, just like at Masterbike. Strangely enough it didn't poll at the top of the test riders' lists though, that honour went to the Gixxer 1000.
  15. Nuff and Flux..... Thank you both for your very useful posts and thoughts and perceptions of these bikes.

While I haven't actively looked at the 675 (main reason I haven't had the time yet), a friend suggested that my 6'4" and (varies between 98-103kg) weight may not work too well with it? While not being "apeish" I do have long arms, but these also come with my long legs as well - which pretty well says that unless I want to have my knees and elbows flapping out in the breeze like a mad chook I need to look at the litrebike sized machines.

Again, thanks for your input.

16. I thought I knew how to ride before I got the 675. I had the litre bike (R1) before. The thing about litre bikes is that it's all too easy to get intoxicated with the sheer top-end power of them, and to let that sensation dominate all else. The power becomes a crutch for a lazy rider, and a band-aid to make up for time lost in corners. Since a litre bike's motor is so strong you'll feel like you're going faster and between corners that's true 'cos you'll be reaching a higher top-speed, but put it all together (corner entry, mid-corner speed, corner exit, and straights) and most people will go faster on a lighter and more nimble super-sport. Show them the lap-timer and they won't believe it. They'll still be in love with a litre-bike's power.

The more I ride the 675, the more I find it rewarding. It's taken me ages to unlearn a whole lot of bad habits I'd picked up from being a lazy rider on the R1. I find that it's a supremely balanced machine. It does have its niggles when setup as stock on Australian roads, but they can be dialled out with some astute adjustments. It comes from the factory race-track stiff, and since most people don't fully understand how/why to adjust it to be more compliant to general road riding, they just complain instead. If there's one thing that's a really valid complaint, it'd be that the rear linkage rate rises a little too quickly, but once this is understood for what it is, it can be worked with by someone who knows what they're doing with the suspension clickers.

In short, the more precise you are, and the harder you push, and the more you demand, the more that the 675 will reward.

I'm not really that surprised that it's the fastest bike in the test. I don't believe that it'd the fastest possible bike in the hands of top-level racer. A litre-bike would win that one, but it'd be far, far closer than many would think. Make the track tight-enough where a litre bike can't stretch its legs properly, and yeah, the 675 might just be the better bike.
  17. Plain brilliantly put. It's something I've struggled to convey to some of the guys I ride with; "So when are you upgrading?"...well, when I learn how to ride properly I'll think about it. You can make up time lost from bad cornering with fast acceleration and braking, but what does that teach you?

The Trumpy won its class at Masterbike, and was in the final with the R1 and MV F4 R312. It didn't win outright, but I can't find the lap times for all the classes, so not sure how close it was.
  18. The 675 beat out the 1098S! Overall it was about a second a lap slower than the R1 and the 312R (over a ~1:52s lap-time). The fastest lap of the test set on the R1 was 1.5s faster than the fastest lap of the test on the 675. The 675 seemed to be lapping more consistently for more riders. Even though the R1 had the outright fastest lap over the 312R, on average people on the 312R were going slightly faster.

I'm a bit like you. I've had people with litre bikes ask me why I "downgraded" to a 675 from an R1. It ain't a downgrade.
  19. Stop talking about her? :grin: :LOL:
    im soo obssesed with the 675 its not funny. :(

i go to different dealers just to see her and i havent even test ridden her.
    i need counselling :(
  20. Obsessed?
    I have 73 meg of pics of the 675, My desktop walpaper is a 675, my Mobile phone, my PDA...
    Obseesed... Me??? No!