Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Questions on changing oil on VS125

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by MangaGal, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Hi guys

I've got a SYM VS125. I think I have to change the oil soon...

The manual talks about taking the bolt at the bottom off to drain the engine oil but what I wanna know is do I need to replace an oil filter? Is there one? Last time when I asked the mechanic who did it for me, he told me that the filter just needs to be cleaned.

Anyone can help me on this? Thanks.
  2. Hi

The mechanic is right...there isn't an 'oil filter' as such to replace, just cleaned. I've got the VS125 too and it's done 13,600km without changing the oil filter, just regular cleaning when I get it serviced.

I change the oil every 1,000km...pretty simple and I'm planning on cleaning the oil filter each time I do it. Hopefully I can find the service manual somewhere - it's got to be better than the manual the scooter came with!
  3. Thanks. This is really helpful. What kinda motor oil do you use? The one that the mechanic used is Motorex 4T 10w40. I can't find it anywhere (tried Big W, SuperCheap and KMart). I feel embarrassed to go back to that mechanic just to get the oil.

If you find the service manual, please share! ;) I'd like to start changing the oil myself. Speaking of it, it's already time for me to do it. I better get into it this long weekend.
  4. Bike accessories shops sell oils for bikes and scooters. Also most scooter dealers would have an accessories section, which might include oils.
  5. I've used Fuchs Silkolene and Motul 4 stroke scooter oils (semi-synthetic), around 10W40. I get mine from Motorcyle Accessories (aka MCAS), but you should be able to get them from any motorcycle shop, maybe even SuperCheap Autos?. Just make sure the oil is for motorcycles/scooters, is for a 4 stroke engine...and around 10W40.

I'm not sure about scooter dealers...the ones that I've seen, you're more likely to get a latte than oil....

I'm no expert so couldn't really tell you if there's a huge difference between them...although the Motul costs more than the Silkolene. The oil change is pretty simple and takes me no more than 30 mins, and that's including time just leaving the scooter alone while the oil drains out and I put new oil in and wait for the oil to go through the funnel. PM me if you've got any specific questions. I'll pass on the manual if I find it.

Good luck!
  6. Unbelievable! I can't believe it.

I finally got everything ready to change the oil, I couldn't loosen the bolt! Even my stepdad, a strong man, couldn't loosen it. The last time they changed the oil, they must have put the bolt on with a compressed air gun or something. The bolt has started to strip.

What shall I do?
  7. Photo of the oil sump bolt would help.
    WD40 on the bolt, leave it for a hour & try again?
  8. Tried it, didn't help either.
  9. Hi,

I have the manual for the VS if you want to PM me your email address :grin: