Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Questions for Earmold owners

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by JP, Nov 26, 2008.

1. I got some Earmolds from the Sydney Motorcycle Show last Friday. I've used them a few times on my bike, and I'm not sure they fit properly. They seem to wiggle their way out of my ears slightly, and if I move my jaw around (which some how moves my ears) I can feel them moving around, blocking out the noise, then not blocking out noise. So I wanted to know how yours fit?
    I've read over the instructions of how to fit them properly, so I don't think that's the problem. Any ideas?

2. Do you insert and rotate the plug,mine go in and rotate towards the back
    and yes mine do move when a open and close my mouth,the Sydney agent for them is at Blacktown,nice lady who is very helpful,mine needed an adjustment,I cut 3mm of the end,too much pressure over a 7hr day on a trip.When they fit right they sit almost flush outside and behind the external lumps for want of the right term,mine need resealing,coating with that silicon stuff after my surgery and I am going to fit the speakers as well.
  3. Sounds like they weren't fitted right to me.

The effect you're describing happens because your ear canal does change shape if you move your jaw. That's why swallowing/chewing helps to "pop" your ears when you're ascending/decending on a plane. Should only happen at the extremes of moving your jaw, not just normal movements like breathing or talking. I'vve never had noise leaking around my Earmolds unless I'm doing something like yawning.

Earmolds certainly shouldn't wiggle out at all unless you're doing something really weird. Mine lock right into my ear, held in place my the part that was molded under the front "flap" of the ear.

I've been really happy with mine. I don't think I'd trust them 100% at work as they can't guarantee a noise rating, but they are awesome for riding.
  4. Just get some of those soft scrunchy foam earbuds that cost less than 50 cents a pair, they work fine.
  5. what help is that ?? he's just spent money on a superior product :roll:

it does not sound like you are fitting them correctly.. look in a mirror while practicing getting them in and out a few times.. you'll see where they are supposed to slip in under the flap..

you need to twist them backwards and inwards at the same time.. takes a little practice, but once you get it.. you'll love them
  6. The cheap foam units feel like someone is drilling a hole in my head after a couple of hours,way more pain than the ear Molds,but I still needed a trim on the lenght of the molded ones,my helmet is very very snug.
  7. Yea I've tried the cheapo foam ear plugs, too uncomfortable over a long ride. I'll try again tomorrow an see if I can get them to sit properly, when they are in properly, they are awesome, but then they move and it gets loud again :cry:
  8. If they are flapping about then you haven't put them in properly.

Try licking your finger and wiping it over the mold before inserting it into your ear.

As others have said, roll it backwards and ensure that it is tucked up under the cartilage.

Mine are fantastic. Both the wires and the normals.
  9. Ok, so today I tried again, carefully putting them in upside down, then rotating backwards. I found that pulling on my earlobe when putting them in helps as well. They fit much better now :)
  10. What? Speak up! Can't hear you!

11. yes.. I found that too until I worked out how and where to push etc..

you'll get the feel for them in a week or so