Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Questions and some advise please

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by art_vandelay, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Hi everyone,

I recently joined this site and also got my learners license (NSW).

I've been looking at bikes and found a 1994 RVF400 for $7500.

Are these things overpriced or what? Cause I'm looking on redbook dot com dot au and its telling me $2,300 - $2,700 for a private sale.

I'm also looking at a 1994 CB400 for around $5k. And again redbook is saying $1,900 - $2,300.

Whats the deal?

Any advise would be great.

2. Brand new LAMS bike wouldnt be too far off that price, thing is, the price is determined by what people are prepared to pay, if you want one, go for it and sell it for the same price you paid originally. Or, get a bomb for your first bike, make your mistakes on it, drop it, scratch it with your boots, then sell it for the same price you paid and get somthing schmicko.
  3. That and redbook is crap.
  4. Start with something smaller, around the 3k mark, until you pass your p's... you can thank me later!!... As for the pricing, if you're willing to pay that, put about another 4k on there, and pick up a hyo, or even a suzuki sv650, or gsx650fu, or a gladius... No point paying heaps for something old, when you can get something new for not much more!!

Strongly recommend buying an easy bike first up, get to know your balance, throttle control, braking, road awareness... Use it to pass the p's test with the u-turn and cone weave, then sell it for the same as you bought it!!
  5. Big points on the getting a bomb theory - hell, its what I did! Mostly cosmetic damage (handlebar, fairing, indicators & seats buggered) but got onroad for not too much, working fine. Also helps if theres a problem down the line, you know what its likely to be and what you can do about it.

Plus you can start tuning it for a bit more go :wink:

Anywho, its all up to you as to what bike you get, but the overpriced 15y/o bikes are definitely in the no-go camp for me. I'd pick up a 250 or 650 Hyo for similar or less money. That, or a GS500.

Cheers - boingk
  6. Overpriced for sure.
    But then, the RVF400 is seen as somewhat as an exotic bike. So, you're paying for the privilege (of sorts).

IMO, buy something more common so the insurance is cheaper, there's solid aftermarket support for spare parts, and put the difference in quality gear, insurance, and rider training.

Not to mention the complication and costs of servicing a V4 engine. :shock:

However, if you're loaded, go for it. :p
  7. Redbook can be pretty good for newer stuff, the older gear... Hmm.
  8. Thanks for replying guys.

So would you recommended $4k for a second hand bike in good working condition?
  9. Mate if you want the best learners sports bike available get the rvf. They look awesome, handle as good as any bike, and have excellent performance. Considering a good condition cbr250ARGHH-ARRGHH (international talk like a pirate day... :LOL: ) is like 6k, spending that little bit extra for something thats heaps better is worth it IMO. Obviously depends if you have the cash though, and if you've got restrictions for 3+ years, you will want something good. You probably won't lose much on resale either.

If I was doing it again, i'd get the biggest capacity supermoto thats legal (640KTM comes to mind), or an RVF400 :wink: Still, I don't regret buying my little zxr250, was a great bike. You'll like whatever you get, well... as long as it's not a cbr125.....
  10. RVFs do look awesome.. well, the fox eye ones do. I think you could learn faster on one of those too. Could be slight overkill for a learner though.

Good luck with your purchase.
  11. No doubt that the RVF wins the "exotica" stakes hands down and you'll learn heaps from riding one (though it may spoil you for other bikes later, V4 disease is said to be incurable), but you'll also learn about expensive servicing and hideously expensive parts (and waiting times) if you happen to drop it.

Added to this a "sports" bike has a much more restricted turning circle and steering lock than many other LAMS bikes and you need everything working for you when the time comes to do THE TEST.

I agree with the majority of replies here. Buy a cheapie, get your "P's" and then worry about a "better" bike a little further down the track.

Bottom line? Buy the bike that you NEED, not the bike you WANT.
  12. Thank you for the tips.

As much as I would love to get the RVF, I'll stay away cause of the cost to maintain them.

I'll be looking at a VTR250 or something in that style and slightly larger (400cc - 500cc).

I don't mind those naked style bikes. They look pretty good.