Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Questions about warming up a bike

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Damo79, Dec 6, 2006.

1. I am just curious about the best way to warm up a bike.
    I have had a look at the manual and it just says to allow enough time for the oil to lubricate the motor. There is no mention of a time frame, but i suppose this would depend on the grade of the oil and the ambient temperature, etc.
    So would a couple of minutes at idle speed be ok?

Also, is it ok to leave the bike leaning on the side stand during the warm-up? Will the angle of the bike result in all the oil collecting in that side of the motor and damaging the other non-lubricated side if it is left like that for too long?
    Maybe i'm just paraniod...

2. the answer to all your questions is..........YES!!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  3. It’s not called paranoia, it’s called due diligence.
  4. Start motor, rev to 10k, dump clutch and awaaaay :LOL:.
    Seriously a couple of minutes idling is fine then just take it easy on the engine till it's warmed up fully. Don't know about the oil draining away from the high side of engine when on the stand but lubrication certainly isn't at it's most efficient with the engine just sitting at idle.
  5. Don't know what sort of bike you have, but leaving it just at idle may not allow oil to move freely through the engine, or at speed. It may be impossible to rev the bike at start up (bike goes to stall), but gradually rev a littler higher as you can. For instance when the bike is started, after 30 seconds or so try to rev to 2k, then back to idle, then try 3k (or back off if it goes to stall) etc. Once you can give it a quick squirt up to around your operating revs, then just let it idle for a minute or so, fluctuate it between idle and 3k or something for a bit, then you can start riding. For the first few minutes of your ride, accelerate slowly without opening the throttle more than half way. A proper warm up not only allows the oil to lubricate, but also prevents cold seizure.

A good warm up like that would be overkill for a modern, 4-stroke, fuel injected bike in perfect tune, but won't hurt it. On the other hand, if your bike is an old piece of shit 2-stroke then letting it idle for a minute before you take off and gun it will result in pain.

Side stand thing: doesn't seem plausible.
  6. nah.. mine pulls away fine at 4K......doesn't even hit 10K at 110 on the freeway.... but that's a vtwin for you.

i usually leave mine to warm up while i'm getting my gear on... so about 5 minutes or so.... i also ride on a lower gear if i'm heading for the freeway as the increased revs warm the engine up a bit more...... it's only a 3 minute trip the Calder.
  7. i generaly start my bike before i put my helmet and gloves on.
  8. Its a modern (1999) 4 stroke 4cly carbied 250 bandit.
    I have had no problems with it running rough, except on the really cold mornings (happens in Ballarat).
    I do usually start it and then put my helmet and gloves on and then head off, not going past about 8000rpm for a couple of minutes, and it runs just fine.
    Thanks for the replies, just curious about what everyone else does.

I don't know about the side stand though, i reakon if you did leave it for say half an hour it could cause some damage. Does someone have a bike they want to test out the theory on?
  9. Nah, many bike engines have cylinders permanantly at weird angles and still run fine. Moto Guzzis and flat-twin Beemers for example run fine even though their cylinders are at a much steeper angle than any of yours would be with the bike sitting on the side stand.
  10. Be carful.

A bike can suffer from warming up too long on choke. Too much fuel in the engine can wash down the cylinder wall and the combustion chamber can coke up.

Even without the choke, taking it too easy can cause a glaze to form on the cyclinders.

1 minutes warm up is plenty then take it easy for a few ks, with the choke off. If I were buying a bike and they said they warmed it up for 5 minutes every time, then I would think twice.

Acceptable lean angle depends on the bike, but 99% of them should be fine for the lean angle on the side stand.

If they aren't then I be concerned taking them for a ride in the twistys.
  11. I would say it depends on the bike.

I usually gear up and the bike will still have a flat spot under 4K

If I have a smoke, its usually right to go, ride for 5 mins before getting over 8/9K. Pinning it in this time will feel flat, but the second time its warm enough and powers on like normal. 8-9K might be peak power on your bike but on mine, power doesnt start until 10K (CBR250RR)

However, late model injected bikes are different. I have seen my mates jump on them stone cold, pop it on the back wheel and take off without any signs of being cold. Not good for the engine, box, bearings, brakes etc. Metal needs to warm up and cool slowly to maintain optimum performance and strength- especailly brakes.

Im not a bike expert, but its not good to rev a cold engine.
  12. I only warm my motor until it doesn't need the choke, to keep it running, that should be long enough to get the oil about.
  13. Take up smoking. My bike's always warmed up for around 8 minutes :grin:
  14. dude seriously... if its not getting oil pressure at idle its got issues that gradual revving aint going to rectify. revving it to get oil pressure if it doesnt have oil pressure will cause the internals to rev harder without proper lubrication.

start the stupid bike and let it idle for a while. that'll do.
  15. No harm is starting you bike while you gear up, but there's really no use in it. Just start it and ride away gently until it's warm enough to flog.
  16. G'day everyone,......

Just allow the bike to idle for 3-4 mins,......this alows the pistons,..rings etc to warm up and expand to their optimum size and closes up gaps allowing seals to work properly.

Haveing your bike on its side stand will not harm it because of where the oil pick-up is located.Your bike is desinged to run on its stand and as long as you have the proper level of oil the oil pump will pump oil to where it has to go,being on its side stand is not going to harm it at all.

Dr Who?
  17. Bah. I get on teh bike, start it, wait till I don't need to choke it for it to idle (maybe 15 seconds), then turn it around and ride off slowly.
    Done this with both my high mileage old bikes.
    You can sit there and idle a bike for 15 minutes if you like, it won't even get close to operating temperature.
    A modern bike engine is not delicate, once it has run for about 10 seconds, it WILL have plenty of oil pressure and oil flow, and warming up at idle is just wasting time. it's interesting to note that everything has to be warmed up, including chain/gearboxes/final drives...how you going to warm them up standing still?
    Best way to warm up anything is to just ride/drive off gently.
    I class this "warm up bike for 10 mins" thing as one of teh many urban myths that won't die.

Regards, Andrew.
  18. I dont know about anyone else, but ideling on the stand is the least of my worries.

I lean the bike over more then that conering and at much higher RPM's.

If it was going to loose oil pressure, it would during conering, not sitting on the stand.

If they had oil pressure problems, all bikes would be 2 stroke as most of them will operate even upside down (unless its not picking up fuel)
  19. My automatic choke tell me when to go. Not much more than 2 min...
  20. Do most bikes even need the choke to start? If it doesn't does that mean the bike is in better condition?

I read somewhere recently (possibly goodweekend) that idleing is not good for/doesn't warm up the engine. The suggestion of gentle riding is toted as best.