Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Question to SV1000 owners...

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Lectre, Mar 14, 2007.

1. hey all.
    I'm thinking about buying an SV1000 (2003 model).
    Went to look at it and it's a work of art... one thing I noticed however is that the chain seems to make consistant contact with the swing arm, on some sort of rail like mechanism. It's the top section of chain (IE being pulled towards transmission) and where the chain meets the swing arm there is an extended length with a shape like this:-
    so that it appears that it somehow guides it..
    I've never seen anything like this before, so was wondering if it is a standard feature or whether it is some sort of freaky mod. The most concerning thing is that even when I sat on the bike the chain was still in full contact with the guide, so I'd have to assume that chain wear would increase (is this assumption correct?).

2. I'm pretty sure the chain on my 650s contacts the top of the swingarm there too - I remember being a little concerned by it too - but I'm not seeing any unusual chain wear, and I haven't heard any complaints from the guys on 1000s - check out www.svdownunder.com you'll find a bigger audience of sv riders over there.
  3. my 250 has a plastic guide there too.
    Cam chain guides in cars are the same kinda stuff and they don't wear out for ages and obviously the chain is the same kinda deal.
  4. Mate, do it!!!.
    buy it and believe. I've had mine for just over 1 month,
    bought it with 30 odd on the clock, the little guide thingy hasn't been replaced and has no signs of needing to, anytime soon.
    However, everyday I ride my bike i fall a little bit more in love with it each time.
    It will make you grin like an idiot everytime you hop on. :grin:
    Check out the SV d/u forum by all means, but to get a better sense of what you're buying into, hop over to the pommy one. :wink:
    They're well ahead with mods for the SV, but take a lot of it with a pinch of salt.

Cheers Scheff
  5. It's common and 'normal'. It's called a chain slider...because the chain slides over it. :wink:
  6. Buy it buy it buy it!

They are a top bike. Im on my second.

03 model? is it in Copper? :)