Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Question on the big loop

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Disco_Dave, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Looking at this recommendation from a previous netrider post on "The Big Loop", can anyone confirm if bogong high plains road (the whole section after falls creek, in the direction of shannonvale) is sealed?
    I have found an article online from the local shire saying it was sealed in 2009 but the google sattelite suggests otherwise (i know it could be afew years old).

Does anyone know if there are any unsealed sectoins in the route below?

2. All sealed, done this both directions a couple of times.
  3. When are we going??? :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Couple of things to note on the newer (grey) section of that road.
    - if you hear pinging noises coming from under the bike, it means there is loose gravel - very hard to see at times.
    - the dark patches where the surface has been worn down to smooth bitumen are very slippery.

The light brown stuff further toward Omeo is better.
  5. Geoff!
    Am thinking of going between xmas and new years (nothing concrete yet)
    If i can sort things out you are more than welcome to join (albeit i must warn i am no where near as skilled as yourself and also like to stop for the scenery quite abit so will be taking it at quite the leisurely pace haha).

P.S check ur PM

Thanks for the advice all :)
  6. Better going up the hill than down IMHO. Enjoy, beautiful part of the world.