Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Question on NSW P's Test

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by slik50, Feb 8, 2009.

1. I've had a look wih the seach function and can't really find an answer on this one so I thought I'd ask.

I was wondering about the "Obstacle Turn" or swerve test. How much time do you have before the instructor indicates which direction you must swerve?

I have only racticed on my own which makes it difficult to see how I would go with a random direction.

I'm going for my test at Queanbeyan if that helps.

2. mate, in nsw on the swerve test, u go left only, so you swerve to the left of the instructor, they say they are supposed to direct you but in a real life situation, 9 times out of 10 youll be swerving left, and the u-turn youll be turning right, so from the left hand side of the box to the right, again, 9 times ot of 10 youll be doing right u-turns in real life
  3. The instructor will signal which way you have to swerve pretty much as soon as you start to move, its not something to stress about, but its worth getting a friend and practicing.
  4. From RTA website:
    When the front edge of your front tyre passes the yellow cones, turn to the (right/left),
    which will be the side that the testing officer is standing on, to avoid hitting the half tennis
    ball, then turn back in before hitting the side blue lines and ride through the marked exit

You swerve to the side they are standing on so you will see before you start.

PS about lefts only .. most people seem to get lefts but I have spoken to some who had to swerve to the right.
  5. Don't pre-empt it. You will at worse crash(and fail), or go way to wide(And maybe fail). you could be called to go either way, practice either way...
  6. i had to go right ^_^ so it's not only left.

And frankly, when i've had to swerve it's generally because there's something coming from my left (like a car, dog, kangaroo...), so I've served to the right more then the left in actual riding.
  7. What OzYoda wrote is correct. The instructor will stand to either the left or right side of the obstacle course, and you will swerve to the side he/she is standing on. Easy peasy :grin:
  8. FWIW, I did mine on only three days ago, and the instructor told us in the walkthrough just before the individual tests to swerve left.
  9. Thanks for the feedback guys. I've booked my test for Friday. Hopfully it all works out.

thanks again.

10. Alrighty then......

I passed, as did everyone else on the course except for one.

The funny thing was that the guy who failed did it by going the wrong way on the swerve test.

There was a brave guy on a hyo gt250r who made it too (definitely more skill than me)...

Anyway, now out for more practice.

11. Congrats! Now get your learner's arse out of my way when you see me coming.
  12. Congratulations mate, well done. I passed mine only a week before you did.

I managed to get through on a Hyo GV250, and the instructor commented that he loved seeing people on cruisers pass the test, as he gets sick of people arguing over whether or not you can pass the test on a cruiser style bike.

Congrats again. Ride safely.