Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Question on interstate travel and engine capacity

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Spud Gun, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. As a learner, if I were to travel from NSW on my GS500E to VIC, would I be breaking the law as soon as I crossed the border as the engine capacity limit is 260cc's there as opposed to 660cc's here in NSW? How would that work?

  2. State of origin rules apply in these cases.

    It's not illegal for a 17 year old P plater from NSW to drive in Vic so you should be free to bring your bike to Vic.

    If you were to move to Vic and transfer your rego - then you would have problems!
  3. Which I guess also means that Vic learners visiting NSW can't legally ride a friend's 500.
  4. Hadn't thought of that. It's a while before I come off restrictions and I would like to try out some larger bikes :wink:
  5. how is it then that the EPA can get away with differing laws for exhaust labelling in the two states?
  6. Because they are state, not federal bodies.