Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Question from new rider

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Nakkas, Dec 31, 2006.

1. I've just started riding, got my bike and learners together a few weeks ago and have been trying to get as much experience as possible..

There's one thing that's bugging me on my FZR 250. I'll pull up to lights with my clutch down and try to kick the gears down to first. I'll keep pushing down until the gear wont get any lower and when I go to take off the bike will rev as if it's in neutral, but the neutral light isn't on. After bringing up the revs, I'll be able to kick it down into first gear and take off.

This happens sporadically but it adds a few seconds to me taking off at lights and when you're at the front it isn't good..

The other thing is turning. I've been doing turns at granny speed, for fear of leaning over too much or falling over. Anyone have any tips for turning?

At the moment I usually clutch in, brake into the turn, change into 2nd or 3rd (depending) and clutch out at the end.

Any advice would be great..

2. Approaching a stop you need to change down whilst moving. Once youre stopped forget it. If you do find you stop in second or neutral just roll the bike forward and try selecting first, or sometimes by releasing the clutch and then engaging it again will help. As for your cornering it will come with time and confidence. Dont push your own comfort zone. What area do you live in as there are always rides on which will help you gain the confidence you are after.
  3. Welcome to two wheels, shouna

I'm not an expert with the particular bike, but it sounds like the actuator switch for the neutral light is either faulty, or not making proper connection. Get you mechanic to check it when you get your next service, or sooner if it's really annoying you....
  4. Paul my zzr used to do it sometimes as well. Theres a term they use for it but i cant remember. I used to find it happened when i was stopped and tried putting it in first.
  5. this is a tad dangerous. get in the right gear before the corner and go around in gear. go to a car park, put it in 2nd and ride around corners without changing gear.
  6. Yeah, I'm not a fan of you pulling in the clutch for the entire turn,

Find a suitable gear (2nd or 3rd) and just crack the throttle a touch so you aren't engine braking or accelerating excessively, and have confidence, lean it in enough to get around the corner, don't be afraid to lean it further, you'd be suprised what your bike can do.

It's all about re-programming yourself, your brain tells you to tip the bike in, but your instinct says it's not natural and you don't want to do it.

Eventually your neural network will adapt and structure itself to feel comfortable and confident around corners :)
  7. Yep, what you've found is called a false neutral.
    A bike gearbox is unlike a car box, the gears have to be moving for a change to occur, as there is no synchromesh, just dog clutches. Dog clutches will not engage when the shafts and gears aren't moving, and teh gears don't move when the rear wheel is not turning.
    So, kick into first as you approach a stop, the clutch can be in, it wil still select the gear.

Regards, Andrew.
  8. this is exactly what i've been experiencing - but much better explained than i could do.....

and andrew - thanks for ur explanation - now i understand and can try to do better in future - it was annoying me and making me fearful of stopping in traffic.....
  9. You scared me when I read that. Don't pull clutch when you're going into a corner. There are lots of reasons why. The most important is that without the cylindrical force exerted on your wheels, you lose the advantages of physics - this force actually tries to pull your bike up to being straight. You want this in corners as it will let you maintain your lean angle without falling over :p

Also if you suddenly have to avoid something, you have no power to do so. And once you come out of the corner you dont want to worry about revv matching, it would slow you down alot, not to mention that revv matching is a pain esp for learners like us :)

So when approaching a corner:
    - Assess the corner (can you see around it? if not you will need to slow down so you have time to react if a car is pulling out, a kid is eating waffles on the road¿, etc.)

Also, consider where you want to enter and exit the corner (should start wide, finish tight but leave enough room for cars going the other way to get 2 wheels in your lane as they often will).

- Slow and shift down as approach, the extent of which should be based on your assessing :) You want to shift down so that at the speed you're at in the corner, you'll be close to a powerband so speed out of the corner when ready.

- Position yourself at entry point of corner (wide)

- During corner look through the corner with your head facing that way, looking at your exit point.

You will naturally balance itself and help you corner a lot just by looking through the corner. So much so that when I just started learning I'd do alot better in corners when I wasn't concentrating as much as thinking of all of this stuff in a corner was overwhelming at first.

Another big thing is leaning forward over your bike, gives you alot more control over it.

Your arms should be relaxed as always in a corner, but particularly the outer arm as it means your other arm will make the handlebars more turned away from the corner (read up on counter steering if you haven't), tightening your turn.

- Exiting. Slowly bring the throttle back on as you are finishing up a corner.

Hope that helps.
  10. I've had my GPX250R since 4pm yesterday (first bike) and was also experiencing this problem.

At least I now know the bike isn't faulty. I was coming to a stop in second or third, and after clicking down as far as it would go (thinking I was shifting down to first), I was trying to lightly press up on the shifter to put it in neutral. It refused to click up into neutral, the light didn't come on and the bike was clearly still in gear when you tried to roll it. I also noticed it was definately not in first because it took way more revs to get going.

Now in hindsight, it is no surprise it was not working. :roll:

Thanks for the info Typhoon! :)
  11. just in adition to what phizog has said u may find dragging the rear brakes through the corner helps a little 2 but u need to remember to maintain ur revs, dragging the brakes holds the bike up just as it does in slow speed manouvring as you will have learnt in ur learner course i dont know why they dont teach us this method in cornering in the learners course as they teach it in the advanced cornering and braking course held throughout nsw by stayup right