Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

question for the lady riders

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jphanna, Nov 28, 2011.

1. hi,

my fiance has just found out she is expecting. a vist to the local doctor advised her of things NOT to do. she mentioned the jet ski which we also do, and he said that is a definate no. she forgot to mention motor bike riding.

ladies, if you became pregnant...at what stage did you stop riding...?
    guys, if your lady pillon passenger was expecting, did you continue to ride with your lady on the back, or did you cease immediately?

moderator, if this is in the wrong section..please move to whatever section it should be in.

2. I gave my ex a couple of riding lessons in the early stages, and she stopped pillioning when it got uncomfortable for her - from memory that was around the 15 week stage...
  3. Firstly, congratulations mate! Is this your first?

What you have asked is a very personal decision, usually driven by individual risk appetite. However, the following is my personal view..

Just owing to the multitude of risks associated with even a minor fall or crash, I would suggest to cease motorcycle riding or riding pillion until she has had the baby. It is only a few months and there will be plenty of time to ride after the baby has arrived. If something untoward were to happen, you'd just feel very silly after it.

My 2 cents on it :)
  4. thank you.

its not the first for either of us. second time around.....
  5. #5 Reesa, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Congratulations! I can't answer with absolute certainty because I've not had children, but I assume 1 of 2 things may happen; she'll either get physically uncomfortable on a bike, particularly if she has a rough pregnancy (sickness, sciatica etc.), or she'll lose her nerve and her focus because she now has something to protect.

The other question is as a couple; what risks are you both prepared to take together? Most likely nothing will happen but we all ride with the knowledge we can get bucked off at any point in time :) only you two can answer that.

Personally, I'd continue to ride for a while if it were me unless I felt completely crap.
  6. I can only speak from my own experiences, but when my wife Soph became pregnant she stopped pillioning immediately. Her decision was made on the basis of the consequences of an off. Not necessarily a prang - ending up under the bike from a carpark drop can be nasty enough.

As above, it’s a personal risk assessment.

Best of luck

7. Its her call.

Personally if I wanted the baby I would probably get off straight away but then that's pretty hypocritical as I would be trying to work for as long as possible. Its a physical job and I'm 38 more times likely to get injured than on my bike.
  8. whats the job if you dont mind me asking?
  9. I work with dogs
  10. tell her to HTFU
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Well, in my case we both stopped riding. That was 25 yrs ago and I don't regret the decision but I'm not sure I'd make the same decision now if I became a dad again.
  12. i don't think that's very fair, we're not women so we don't know what women go through while they are pregnant.
  13. My wife rode her horses till she was about four months. Then she kept pissing her pants so she stopped.
    If you have been trying for a while and had miscarriages I would not let her on one.
    Otherwise your wife is one big bubble and it would take a fair hit to get to the bub.
    Remember the little tacker is floating, not fixed so bumps and stuff are not going to hurt him.
    Ha ha just thinking you will be the one getting covered in wee if she keeps pillioning
  14. pfft.
    how hard can it be
    • Like Like x 1
  15. well just imagine something the size of a small grapefruit coming out of your anus and then you have some idea
  16. You will get Rat all excited
  17. aaarggggh aaarrrrghhh give meeeee the drugs !!!!!
  18. Mate of mine took his mrs to hospital on the back of the bike after her water broke.
    She said she tried to squeeze him in half at the contractions.
  19. If its something your anus is designed to do then it can't be that bad. You've also got 9 months of constipation building up pressure to help get it out =D>
  20. allow me to present you with a model
    see that small opening on the far right of the model?
    bub's gotta get through that.

(by no means do I claim to be an expert and by no means do I claim the model to be accurate but you get the jist)