Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Question For Sportsbikers

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by nicholas, May 15, 2007.

1. I'm in the market for a new bike and test rode a GSXR600 today, I handled the bike quite well, liked the acceleration, but the one problem was wrist pain after my test ride.

My question is, do you get used to riding in a forward position, do your wrists become immune to the leant pressure against them?
  2. Wrist pain, only wankers ride sports bikes and they have strong wrists! Nah mate you get used to it, that's what a mate of mine reckons who rides a CBR1000RRRRRR to work everyday. :grin:
  3. You get used to it. :grin:
  4. I have asked the question and one of the answers I received was...

You should hold your weight on your abdominal muscles not on your wrists.
    So get thee to Palates
  5. +1

You can also take some of the pressure off your wrists by gripping with your legs more and relaxing the upper body a bit.

er...so I'm told :grin:
  6. I don't know anyone who doesn't like wanking, so i'm assuming those that don't ride cruisers :grin: Oh god, what have I started?

Well thats good to know about the wrist pain then.
  7. You could get risers for them...
  8. You won't get sore wrists if you support your body weight with your abs and legs etc. These muscles will get stronger to accommodate this.

And having a light grip on the bars means you don't transfer bumps in the road through to the throttle on a twitchy sportbike.

Also have a read of this:

9. True that!

I also find i can control the bike alot better whilst cornering when doing this.
  10. Never had that problem mate, even on long rides. You should be able to
    get used to it & if you dont you can get bar risers to ease the pressure.
  11. oh well falcon-lord, my intentions were good!
  12. I've done week long tours on a CBR1000RR and as long as you get your position right its not a problem. A lot of the time I wasn't complaining about soreness while most others where having a good old whinge.

Supporting yourself through your body as much as possible, by gripping with your legs and straightening your back. This takes you body weight off your arms and handlebars which has two effects, let fatigue and soreness and also it makes it easier to turn and change direction.

Also I found that focusing on completely relaxing across the back of my shoulders made things easier on long straight stretches while touring even to the point of being euphoric if you got it right. In the twisties you are generally moving around enough on the bike so that fatigue from sitting in one position isn't an issue.

If you tend to slump on a bike and don't think you can train yourself out of it then a different bike with a more upright position might be a better option.
  13. I took the GSXR600 through the city streets, would this have anything to do with it, the stoping and starting at lights and the slow moving with traffic.

I only got to open up a couple of times on some main roads.
  14. How long were you on this test ride for?
  15. Wrist fatiuge

Hey there, secret is all in the legs lower abs. You'll find that most force applies to yout hands during braking at lights (or traffic), this is when to clench those thighs! :LOL:
  16. About 30 minutes, first time ever on a sports bike.
  17. Joys of a sports bike.. Get used to the numb hands too.. :grin:
  18. yes, good ol' white knuckle and new ride position.
    you will learn to not hold on like its going to run away from you, and you will learn to sit correctly so that your core muscles and legs do the holding, while the hands are loose to do the controls. when i find that i am going back to the old stiff arm grab, i know i am getting fatigued and need a stop.
    bend the elbows, carry no weight in the triceps and you will get used to it.

or just get something more "toury"
  19. I find that on my first long ride, I was having to alternate between holding on with my legs and abs and my wrists. I found if I held on with my wrists for too long they would start hurting and if I held on with my legs and stomach muscles they would hurt. I think I'm just a pussy though! :oops: