Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Question for RVF400 owners

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Rented, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Pretty basic question, what kind of kilometerage do you get?

I get about 200KM before I hit the reserve. How does that sound?

Keep in mind I am way too big for the bike, 6'2" but have a LAMS restriction, so my kilometerage is lower than most I suppose. I wanted a proper sporty bike, as the CB250s and CX200s they train you on in METAL, well I thought they sucked arse and I hated the seating position.

2. not bad, yourself?

3. My apologies I can see that wasn't brilliant.

So let me re-phrase.

Hi guys, I am looking for someone who owns an RVF400 who might be able to answer a basic question: what kind of kilometerage do you get?

I get about 200KM before I hit the reserve. How does that sound?

Keep in mind I am way too big for the bike, 6'2" but have a LAMS restriction, so my kilometerage is lower than most I suppose.

As an aside, I wanted a proper sporty bike, as the CB250s and CX200s they train you on in METAL, well I thought they sucked arse and I hated the seating position. I think LAMS is.....problematic if you are interested in riding a proper sportsbike.

Cheers guys.

4. Fuel capacity: 15.00 litres (3.96 gallons)
    Reserve fuel capacity: 2.00 litres (0.53 gallons)

is that right?

5. Thankyou for replying.

There seems to be a lot of incorrect information on the net. I have seen a couple of different definitions.

Typically when I hit the reserve in I put about 12~13 litres in it. So if your numbers are 15L inc. the 2L reserve, then yes, that sounds about right.

Point being for a 400cc bike it seems high ~ 6.5L/100Km. So I was curious to see what others were getting.

The current Fireblade does about that economy....

6. 200km from a tank is reasonably average for a little sports bike.

You only get lots more from the really frugal single/twin cyl buggers, and if you're getting less than 150 from anything without thrashing it, you're due for a service.

7. or hes heavy on the wrist

8. Fuel Efficiency Myth 1
    A Smaller engine gives you better fuel efficiency.
    This is tru is you spend a lot of time sitting at lights idling, but once you are going the engine size makes SFA difference to the efficiency. The type of tune and how much you open the taps is what makes the most obvious difference there is also the basic moving efficiency of the object, so for acceleration (or going up hills), the mass, and once cruising the aerodynamic efficiency)
    So 400cc, 600cc 1200cc… it doesn’t mean squat for efficiency once you are out of the city.

9. You know that makes sense. I hadn't thought of it like that. Thanks.

I am crap for aero with wide shoulders. I am heavy. I tend to fang a bit.

10. There IS an efficiency factor in the displacement of the engine, in that there is a higher surface area internally, which equals more friction, which the pistons have to overcome just to tick over. But with that being said, they generally rev slower anyway, so that negates some of that effect.

11. Yes… That is part of why at idle there is a noticeable difference… but once you are rolling, this difference is SFA, the key is about what you are pushing. So making a lighter more aerodynamic vehicle is more effective in fuel efficiency than putting a smaller engine in it

12. Slicks fuel consumtion vs engine age and capacity history.

13 year old 250cc - 7.5l/100km
    22 year old 800cc - ~7l/100km
    4 year old 510cc - 9l/100km
    10 year old 600cc - 5-5.5l/100lm
    8 year old 300cc - 10l/100km
    0 year old 1125cc - 7.5l/100km

try and work out whats going on their with any one logical rule and i will buy you a beer.

13. Add how many cylinders, and what sort of bike.
    A Single Cylinder motocross bike will always lose to a 4 cylinder tourer for kpl for example. But that is about the tune of the bike more than anything else.
    So when we catching up for this beer ;)

14. that was my point. there is no "rule" of capacity = efficience. its all over the shop. to do with tune, capacity, age, cyl config, weight and many more

it goes: i4, single, single, i4, single, vtwin if you are interested.

my 250 i4 used tonnes more fuel than my 600 i4. both were sport tourers, about the same age in roughtly the same nick.

15. Was this a dirt bike or turbocharged??

16. This actually brings up an interesting thought.
    Top Gear did an exercise where they took a Prius and an M5 (As I recall)
    They did a bunch of laps on there track, the Prius was going flat out, and the BMW just had to keep up.
    The Toyota went through more fuel.

17. #17 Ljiljan, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    m3 i think. yep here it is

[media=youtube]JmxUsGiGp3w[/media]

the prius is an interesting one. It uses less fuel in the city than highway driving. or comparatively less or something

18. Hi

I have an RVF400 and so does my husband. We both get about 200km before reserve and he rides a lot harder than I do. I also have a CBR250r and that is the same, 200kms before hitting reserve.

19. OK that's similar to me as long as my chain is lubed and tight and tyre pressures are good.

20. It turns off its engine pretty much the instant it's not required, slows itself down by using its electric motor to regenerate electricity, etc. Its entire party piece revolves around trying to retain and recapture whatever energy it puts into moving itself, and at city speeds the energy loss due to aerodynamic drag isn't that big. On the highway, though, the Prius is constantly losing energy at a rate of something along the lines of 20* horsepower. Maybe more, maybe less.

Kinda miss the VTR250's fuel efficiency.. 3.8L/100 on the freeway, a tiny bit worse around town (4.2?). Tiger is 4.8-5L at constant speeds from 50kph to 120kph, but a shocking 7-7.5 in stop-start traffic around town.

* Estimated based on knowledge of power requirements for other vehicles to cruise at 110.