Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Question for riders who use the M2 (NSW)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by johna, Aug 29, 2009.

1. I currently drive from Blacktown to Brookvale 5 days a week and use the M2. I am looking at cutting down my 1 to 1.5 hour each way drive and get myself a bike again.

I know that for some reason bikes can't use the Bus Only lane on the M2 so that leaves sitting in the traffic (which will be about the same time as driving), lane splitting, or using the breakdown lanes.

Problem is I regularly see bikes pulled over by the police on the M2 so I wanted to ask what the riders who regularly use the M2 during peak hours do and the chances of getting fined are.

Also has there been any rider outcry to them not allowing bikes to use the bus lane and anyone know the reason why they decided to make it a Bus Only lane instead of just a bus lane?
  2. If my memory serves me right, the bus lanes deviate from the undesignated traffic lanes, and are separated from a barrier that would prevent you from leaving/entering whenever you pleased?

Thats the difference between a bus lane and a bus only lane, theres always an adjacent undesignated lane along it the entire length.

I'd go with splitting/service lane at your own peril.

EDIT: rider outcry would achieve nothing. Just be glad we don't live in VIC and we can use bus lanes wherever they are.
  3. Bikes can't use bus only lanes on any road - that's the difference between a bus lane and a bus only lane.

I'm confused as to how you think a bike is going to cut down your commute if you don't lane-split - you could just as easily (and illegally) cruise down the break-down lane or the bus only lane in a car :?.
  4. Azamakumar:

The Bus Only lane on the M2 is not separated with a barrier from the normal lanes, only some of the bus stops are, but even when that happens there is still a bus lane alongside the normal lanes.

I didn't say that I don't want to lane split. Seeing that I have seen so many riders pulled over on the M2 recently I am asking what riders can get away with.
  5. i doubt they would have been booked for lane splitting, unless your doing it dangerously, you are unlikely to get pulled for it. riding in emergency lane maybe, or maybe just running a crack down on registered bikes/licensed riders.
  6. I know a couple of people who have been pulled for using the break-down lane. Points and a fine both occasions.

Personally I take offence at having to pay tolls on a motorbike so go Epping Road way (I am in the Hills District). In rush hour it's just as quick if you filter a bit, plus there's lots of nice transit/bus lanes once past Epping.

Oh and it saves you $76.70 a week!!!! :shock: (Assuming you use the Lane Cove Tunnel also??)

7. christ
  8. I Lane Split on the M2 - I've only ever seen people pulled over for either using the bus lane or using the breakdown lane on the left side of the road.