Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Question: being nice to a rear tyre.

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Loz, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Context: I'm chewing up my new Pilot Powers at a ridiculous rate, it looks like I might not get much more than 4000k out of the rear. I like to accelerate quickish when the occasion arises, and pull lots of wheelies.

Question: what's worse for tyre life - spinning up a cold rear tyre, or having it grip hard when it's warm?

Ie. if I stop doing wheelies on short trips when the tyres aren't warm yet (thus, there's usually a bit of wheelspin before it grips and the front lifts), will it make a big difference - or is the real tyre wear coming more from when the tyres are nice and warm and they're gripping hard as I clutch it up?

Or should I just go back to less sticky bowling ball tyres like the Stradas if mileage is important to me? I got 8,000k out of my last Strada rear and it's still got some left in it.
  2. So, is mileage important to you? If it is, then sticky race hoops aren't the way to go!

Good question when the wear occurs...Remember when McCoy was spinning the tyres up and everyone said that was bad for them? Turns out that spinning was good, as it only heated the surface of the tyre, whereas the other riders were heating the whole tyre. Not sure if it's applicable to the stuff we have though.

So, your mission is to prove this one way or another..!
  3. Logic would suggest that tyres wear more when softer, ie. warmer, but if it's tearing when cold I'd imagine you'd be able to see the evidence?
    I'll leave it to the racers to give you expert analysis, but a possible tyre option might be Michie Pilot Roads? (or Pilot Sport if you can find one).
    The Road is really not a bad tyre for road work, harder in the middle for wear but softer on the sides for more grip when cornering.
  4. I didn't think the Powers were THAT sticky a tyre... I mean, they're nice in the corners and all but I haven't been knocked out of my seat by how grippy they are. I certainly wouldn't consider them "sticky race hoops" Cejay!

The key difference seems to be in HOW they let go not WHEN they let go - a sort of squidgy feeling as opposed to the harsher, more definite slip of a harder tyre.

I had a set of Pilot Roads on the Hornet once Wayne, wasn't a fan although I didn't have them on from new.

The Powers would be fine if I was able to get some miles out of them. Bloke at the shops seemed to reckon I oughtta get similar mileage from a Power as from the Stradas... P'raps he didn't know what he was on about.
  5. try some diablo corsas. I remember chewing up some pilots within 2500k's back in the days that i had a TLR, i changed to a set of supercorsas and got triple the milage, I also changed my riding habits a lil, in trying to be smoother on the throttle.

Now i use a pirelli diablo corsa on the front, and the slightly harder pirelli diablo on the rear. I get around 8000-10000k's from the rear, which includes commuting, did a track day at PI not long ago on them, odd wheelie here and there, and weekend rides down the coast.

Also spinning up a cold tyre will chew the tyre quicker.

McCoy only spins his rear tyre once it has warmed up.

another factor in chewing tyres quicker is air pressure within the tyre. a pressure of 30 - 32 will chew a tyre quicker compared to running 34 - 36psi.
  6. Interesting, I hadn't thought about pressures. I kept the Stradas up to 36/42 like it said on the swingarm but the Powers have been down around 33/38 on the recommendation of mechanics and tyre guys.

I guess spinning a cold tyre is probably fairly abrasive, like scraping it down a cheese grater.
  7. Loz im having the same prob as you. My power spins up when i do it on power alone it. Ive never attempted to clutch it :oops:
    After a initial couple of spins it's warm enough to grip and have fun :p
    It has worn down quite a bit from this thou :(
  8. Hi loz well its proved true as i said when i seen ya at the vic market the powers wouldnt last u too long :cool: And dont bother with the power sports (hpx) i thought the same but the 9 has been spitting them out at also a alarming rate. The next tyre i am goiong to try is a metzler m3 :grin:
  9. If you spend a lot of time on the back-wheel, at least you'll be replacing this much less often than the front :)
  10. Well, tyre wear rate is proportional to stress! [sooo many lines... not gonna touch any of them!]

Powers are top notch sticky/soft compound road tyres, which like all soft compound road tyres, provide grip by shedding the surface layer under stress revealing fresh sticky rubber underneath.

If you're puttin the tyres under stress ol son, it's gonna wear. :grin:

It's also gonna wear when it's cold and spinning up, as well as when sticky and you ask for 6G acceleration!! :cool:

You and Z900 are obviously hoiking the bikes around much harder than me... my rear pilot power is up to about 8000kms and there's still plenty of life left... I guess I'm just a big ol woose on the open road...

Loz, you aint gonna get much better life from any other brand's sticky tyre. You'll need a harder compound, like the pilot road or other brand's equivalent.

Oh and I'm still looking forward to arranging that mono lesson!

Ciao for now.

11. It's the hard acceleration and wheelies that'll chew up a tyre quicker than anything else.

If you want your tyres to last longer, you'll need to modify your riding style. No wheelies. Focus on rolling the throttle on gently as opposed to snapping it open, and so on.

Powers are fairly sticky road/pseduo-track tyres. Given the right bike and rider, achieving sub-1:40's around PI is not out of the question. Considering the amount of grip that they offer (when warmed up) it's somewhat surprising that they last as long as they usually do.

If they're spinning up when cold, then you're really wearing them heavily. Not the best thing to be doing. Give them half a chance to warm up (5kms at least), and then go nuts. Most tyres don't really get fully warmed up until about a good 15 minutes, so anything you're doing before that time will be causing increased tyre wear.
  12. Which, like all the research tells you, if you use more than 80% of their grip capability then you should be on the track and not the road.
  13. let me just remind everyone that everytime i've ever been out with loz, he's done ATLEAST 2 wheelies (on closed, private roads.)

every time.

14. Ok Loz... here's the trade-off.

You go with a tyre like the Strada which for all intents and purposes is a decent tyre with good life. I think including my half-arsed mono's and rather overzealous engine braking i'll end up getting just over 10,000km's out of the rear, which is exactly what i told the tyre guy that i wanted to get out of it!

You could go for a harder compound race tyre which would certainly withstand alot more abuse than what your giving it, but then warmup times would be ALOT slower... that's if you could even get a race tyre up to temp on the road - unlikely in most conditions. This would also mean that your morning mono's would be nigh on difficult given that the tyre would be cold and therefore wouldn't hook up properly.

You could give up mono's all together... but i'm pretty sure that won't be happening any time soon. :wink:

The last thing is you could simply accept that whatever tyre your going to be using is going to get 2/3 to 1/2 the life it could simply because you enjoy giving it that bit of a flick. It's a tough one to accept.
    Next set of rubber to go on my bike will be the Metzeler M3's. I loved the predictability of the M1's but wanted a bit more life, and i'm still stubborn about not liking the Pilot Power's. I've ridden 2 bikes with Pilot Powers and it was most likely the suspension setups but neither of them gave me any confidence in getting it really cranked over.
  15. Another option is go for a stickier cheaper tire. I think more wear is done from spinning up a cold tire than from using a hot one under power. I have heard good things about shinko's, plus they are soft, so you won't spin it up as easily, and also they are cheap so could afford to replace one as quick.
  16. The consensus going around on the Shinko's is they're fine until you get them hot and bothere then they go to hell in a handbasket. The difference in price of tyre's is really 3/5ths of SFA so your better off just finding a tyre your comfortable with and living with it. A new cheap 180 section rear tyre is ~ $240-250... whereas an expensive one is $300. I'll promise i can make up the difference in wear between the two in a quick blat or two with no intentional tyre 'damage'.