Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Question about which bike to get

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by meanieoh, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Hello, I was hoping to get your thoughts on which motorcycle I should buy, a Yamaha XVS650a or the H-D XG500.

My circumstances:
    I rode for about 10 years but haven't ridden in the last 16 years and will be going for my learners this month.
    I also drive 922 kilometers a week back and forth to work, 2/3rds of which is rural highways and the other 1/3rd city driving.
    I'm also middle aged, weigh 125kg's and am 172 cm's tall so I'm a bit worried about whether the XG500 will give up the ghost trying to cart my largess around.

I like the look of the XVS650a but am concerned that because I like the look already, there's not much left to do to it.

Whereas I hate the look of the XG500 but I used to like to tinker with my bikes (my self-built chopped trump was my pride and joy when I was younger) and can see lots of things I could do to it to improve it so the creative side of me would like to sink its teeth into it.

I'm hoping your thoughts will help me make up my mind.

Thank you in advance.
  2. Have you had a look at the Kawasaki Vulcan S? It should have a bit more power, comfort and modern styling than both of those bikes as well as ABS. Out of the two you listed the HD would be the pick for me. I was not a fan of the lack of efi in the XV650 also when I went on a test ride I found the suspension quite lacking as it was too hard/short travel. Every time I went over a bump I could feel it travel up my spine.

Best way to pick would be to go test ride them yourself once you get your license.
  3. Thank you for your advice Infinite; I had looked at the Vulcan S, although admittedly not in great detail as I was leaning strongly towards a v-twin. I'll definitely have a closer look at it now.

Thanks again
  4. #4 olrence, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    From the reviews I've read, the HD XG500 would be just OK for urban use. Just.
    And the Vulcan S does have more fruit (ABS, EFI, etc) and performs pretty admirably.
    It can also be tailored to your ergonomic requirements to be as comfortable as the
    XVS650A already is. Probably very reliable too.

But consider this. The XVS650A is a larger framed, air-cooled V-twin with a shaft drive.
    None of that messy chain maintenance, no radiator to fret about. It is the gold standard
    in the reliability stakes. And did I mention it's a V twin?
    Nothing sounds or feels like a V twin.

It's not referred to as 'Classic' for nothing. My two bob's worth.

Good luck and happy landings.
  5. Thank you Olrence, I stopped on the way home tonight and had a closer look at the Vulcan S and I've decided to go with the XVS650a.

Thank you both again for taking the time to share some advice - it was very much appreciated.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I just traded in my XVS after 4.5 years and 41k kms.

An absolute gem of a machine. You've made the right choice...

Remember.. Is Yamaha.. Is good