Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Question about the NSW MOST Test (Hazard Avoidance)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by CraigF, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Hey all,

This is mainly one for the NSW riders. I've booked in for the MOST finally but I have a question regarding the hazard avoidance section.

I have been told that the examiner will tell you which way he wants you to swerve when needed.

Is this true?

It seems strange if this happens as it doesn't show an ability to swerve to miss a hazard at the last minute. If this is the case, what does this test end up proving?

2. Yes , thats correct , the instructor will tell you in advance which way to swerve.

Test only shows that you can swerve , does not give any indication of hazard avoidance perception.

Sometimes at the sunday learners at homebush , I have stood near the swerve test and pointed which way I would want the learners to swerve, this does give a better perception of hazard avoidance , as you don't obviously know which way I will point.
  3. Hi,

It seemed strange to me too, but when I did my test, the instructor told me which direction I was meant to swerve.

He then stood on the side of the course he wanted me to swerve towards before I started moving.

I did the test in Queanbeyan.

4. at rouse hill it was always to the left, we practiced going left and the test was to the left they told us this at the start of the day they didnt surprise you at all.
  5. It proves that you can handle the bike in such a way that allows you to avoid an obstacle. It measures more your ability to manouver the bike rather than your reaction time.

There's no instructor jumping out of a cupboard yelling "Suprise! Swerve now!" but they are able to limit the space you are given to do your manouver.

Aside from that though, who cares what it proves. If you can do whatever meaningful and/or meaningless tasks they ask of you, then you get handed a licence. That what you're going for right?