Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Question about rearsets

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by barts, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

A quick question about rearsets - I understand that you can get weight savings from them, and also most of the above budget sets allow you to adjust the placement of the pegs, but is there any other benefits to getting a set?

I mean, if the bike kind of clunks into gear because it's a bit worn, or whatever, it will still clunk in even with a good set wouldn't it?

2. Rearsets will only give you somewhere to put your feet & levers to operate the gears & rear brake. They wont 'enhance' your gear selection or rear brake modulation.
    If your bike 'clunks' into gear from netural & there is nothing else wrong with it --for example: missed shifts, jumping out of gear when on the move or false neutrual, then that's normal.

My Hornet is 100% & clucks really loudly from neutral to first gear everytime. It's just the way some bikes are.
  3. Hi Marx,

That's kind of what I thought. At least if it had any impact on how smooth the gear change was, it would have to be minimal.

That said I was looking at YouTube today (whilst I was supposed to be working) and they were installing a set of Giles Tooling and said they could be setup for MotoGP type gearing or backwards gearing, which I did think would be cool.

Afterall, that's something that I always wondered about was if racing bikes are like 1 up and 5 down (so that you can change from 2nd to 3rd without getting your foot caught between the lever and the road), why wouldn't road bikes follow suit, especially when most of them are born from the top racing classes.

Cheers for the clarification.
  4. Rearsets will make your bike go faster...it's a proven engineering fact... :grin: :grin: :grin:
  5. Once upon a time, the majority of bikes were down for up, and on the right hand side too.

However, a left foot change with up for up, combined with a right foot rear brake has been legally mandated in the US (which basically dictates what the manufacturers will make) for about 35 years and in Australia for quite a few, though I can't be bothered right now to go and look up exactly when it came in.