Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Question about electrics

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Oscar33, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Hi everyone
    I've recently had some problems with my bike and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it.
    I have a 97 Yamaha Virago 250cc last week the bike wouldn't start due to a lack of power i assumed this was from the cold and it hadn't been running for a few days so i jump started it on with no probs.
    Then yesterday the light for the speedo went out blown globe or fuse?
    And just to add insult to injury today when i went to start it up i put the key in turned it, the netural light came on switched it to run hit start......it made one clicking sound and the power went out no light no horn nothing.
    Any ideas? is this something i can adjust or fix myself?

2. sounds like a buggered battery first of all

3. battery has gone bye-byes

Get a new one, but get an auto-electrical person to check the voltage regulator as well, cos if it's on the fritz, then you'll just flatten the new battery.

4. and 99% that the bulb has gone if all other heads-up display lights are working.

5. +1
    dead bulb could be coincidence could be regulator

6. yeh i had that problem too n need to jump start - mainly due to battery but since it's cold - i think using motul 3000 oil is good too (instead of 1000)

7. I can't recommend enough the virtues of getting a good peak charger (not a trickle charger!) to keep the battery in tip top shape all year round. Most come with a plug to wire staright into the bike battery.

Most bike batteries get a hard time in cold weather if they're not used daily.

8. The bulb blowing just before all this is a worry. It may just be coincidence, but it does sound like a voltage regulator problem too. A dodgey regulator can allow current to flow from the battery when everything is shut down.
    If you have a multimeter, check voltage on battery when everything off, should be 12.1-12.6v or so. Running at idle should be 13 to 13.9v. Anything higher or lower is trouble.
    A good battery in a bike with no issues should be able to sit for a fortnight outside and still start the bike cold. Mine does.

Regards, Andrew.