Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

question about commuting to work on the bike.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by zears, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Ok so ive had my licence for about 2 months now and have had a bike for about 1 month so im still very new to it all, but i was wondering...

if i use the bike to go to work and back every day its going to wear the tyres in the middle a lot more than the edges as there oviously isnt a lot of heavy cornering on the commute. so will this give bad handeling later when i do go for a fun ride through the black spur or some other twisty road?

Also if it does wear that way (sort of flat across the middle) is it possible to get a tyre that has a harder compound in the middle for commuting and softer on the edges for cornering on weekends so that the tyre wears at a similar rate?

i mean i understand softer usally equates to better grip but faster wear so i figured if your commuting all week and wearing just the middle and then cornering on the weekends on some fun rides you need the grip for the corners but not so much for the straight commute.

anyway if this should have been in maitenence im sorry but any info would be good thanks.

2. Yes they will wear more in the middle.

Some tyres come in dual compound. My personal experience with these hasn't been good. The Dunlops I had a couple of years ago were terrible tyres, but they are no longer available.

More recently I had some Perrilli dual compounds and whilst I didn't keep track of the exact ks I am of the opinion I didn't get much more out of them. In addition the tyres went off earlier than I would have expect. Normally I would get 70-80% of the way through a set of tyres before noticed a decline in performance. Then 95% for a sharp drop off. The Pirellis seems to start fading at about 40%

I now run an intermediate Perilli and I have more confidence in them then I had in the dual compounds 50% of the way through their life.

So yes the theory is there, but I haven't found the execution very good.
  3. Yes, it will wear more in the middle. And yes, as this gets worse, the handling will suffer. I find mine becomes a little unwilling to lean over, and then will settle into a pretty steep lean once I get to. You can get dual compound tyres, which will alleviate this a bit. Ask your mechanic or somebody who knows tyres.

Best solution I have found is make some time once a week to go on a ride in the twisties. :D

What sort of bike to you have? twins and larger bikes will affect how fast this flat spot shows up.
  4. Yep, can get dual-compound tyres. A popular one is the Michelin Pilot Road 2 (not to be confused with the Pilot Road, which is not dual-compound), and other brands have competitors of course.

They won't flatspot quite as much.
  5. In my experience Michelin dual compounds (Pilot Road 2 and Pilot Power 2CT) seem to last significantly longer than the others without sacrificing much grip.
    (There are other factors that affect choosing the right tyre for you, but that's a whole book in itself).
  6. I've got the Michelin PR2's currently at about 14000k on the rear and 6000k on the front, both are wearing surprisingly well and haven't developed much of a flat spot during a 60km round trip daily commute.

They certainly seem to be wearing better than the stock single-compounds that were originally fitted.

Next set i'm keen to give the Pirelli 'Angel's' a try.
  7. According to all available literature, the Mich PR2's have the same compound in the middle as the Mich PR's. They are not marketed as being harder in the middle than the tyre they replaced.
  8. ive got a hyosung GT650R while im on L's and P's then ill get a big bike.

my commute is only about 15-20Km a day so less than 100Km a week and also ive been prettymuch out on the weekends in corners to practice a lot so perhaps it wont flat spot to bdly seeing as the commuteing isnt so great ni between wekend rides?

oh and thanks for the info guys
  9. Yeah. And yet, my rear PR was flatspotted something fierce by 8000km and down to the wear markers by 11000, while my first rear PR2 lasted to 14000 with a similar ride routine and history of long trips, and not squared off as bad. So who knows.

Even if they don't have superior straight-line endurance, the softer edges will keep 'em from squaring off as bad, methinks.
  10. 15-20kms a day is bugger all, you have nothing to worry about. If I did so little kms I'd keep powers on their permanently.
  11. cool thats kinda what i was hopeing to hear... but one of my work mates tole me his wear badly etc... and it got me wondering :)