Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Question about adjusting throttle grip (CBR600 F3- 1998)

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Lectre, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Hey all!
    yet another question about my little CBR:-
    I'm wondering if there is anything I can do in regards to altering the setup of my throttle control; when it is fully pushed forward (so the throttle is not activated) and then I bring it back, there is approximately 5mm of rotation before the throttle activates (and before the true resistance of the throttle starts as well)... it's a bit too hard for me to estimate how many degrees of rotation it goes through in this "null zone" before the throttle engages...
    I originally did not think this was a problem as all of my trail bikes from many moons ago had the same kind of thing, but after taking my friends Duke for a ride the other day I noticed that his throttle engages immediately. Also I noticed that my friends bike (which albeit is 4 years more recent than mine) has more resistance in his throttle than mine (it feels like his "spring" or whatever creates the resistance is firmer than mine). When I gas my bike up and then let go of the throttle, it doesn't "snap back" ultra fast; it seems to gently unwind back into the forward position (but yes, it does fully recede back so that the throttle disengages).
    I'm thinking to myself that it would be advantageous (if not possibly even a safe thing) to tighten/alter my throttle control so that I get instant response from the handle, right away.
    Does anyone know if I can do this myself, and if so how to do it?
    if it's a part that needs replacing, or if a mechanic needs to look into it, it'd be GREAT to know this as well.
    Thanks again you guys... I can't tell you how much knowledge I've gained by reading through netrider d-_-b