Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Question 4 [FLUX] re:675 setup

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by cYcLoNe, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Hey peeps, after googling around about Triumph Daytona's
    I came across this site and a couple of posts by "[FLUX]".

My question is specifically aimed at him but I don't mind if anyone
    else has input, I can't PM him untill I have 20 posts and I'm not about
    to fill your forum with 10 double posts!

Anyway, on to the question.

I am about to recieve my '08 Daytona 675 (next few days I hope)
    after some stupid compliance plate issue.

It will be lowered front and rear to allow my vertically challenged
    'missus' to ride it occasionally, (for 12 months or so) then it will
    be going back to stock height later on.

I was really hoping you could recommend some shock settings
    that would suit the two of us (she-80kg me-90kg) with a lowered
    ride height. She will ride it to work (commute) and I will ride
    it harder on my days off.

PS: I will also take this oppertunity to say what a nice job you
    did with the satin black paint job on your 675! Nice decals too.
  2. Hi cYcLoNe.

How tall is your missus? If 5'6" (~167cm) or taller, then the stock bike height will be fine. If she's shorter than that, then you can try backing off the rear preload a touch, as it is rather firm as standard, but that can actually make the ride a touch harsher.

You could try changing the rear suspension linkage dog-bone length instead, and that would be the better option, and perhaps the cheapest. It all depends on how low you want to go with it.

Weight-wise, both of you are close enough that you can happily dial it in for her weight, and you'll be fine on it.

For the front-end, you can drop the bike on the forks a little bit, but make sure you don't drop it by more than the rear ride height is lowered, as this will make the steering geometry too steep and can make steering nervous. If anything, the 675's geometry is a touch steep as stock and many people report good results in keeping the front 3-6mm above the standard point.

In other words, drop the front end by 5mm less than you drop the rear end by. (e.g. drop the rear by 15, then drop the front by 10).

The stock spring rates should be pretty close to ideal for either of your weights. The front will be a fraction soft for your weight, but overall pretty close).

The good news is that the 675 has ample ground clearance. You can drop the ride height by 20mm overall, and still not really risk having the footpegs touch down even at extreme lean angles.

Hope that helps, and thanks for the compliments. :grin:
  3. Thats the idea, thanks man, I appreciate the advice!

Now to find that 'setup' post you did. ;)