Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Query on Possible Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by dracomjb, Sep 18, 2007.

1. I've no idea on motorbike maintenance, after tightening the chain on my VStar 250 (XVS250) and oiling the chain I noticed while moving it some oil on the garage floor.

Investigation has shown a small rubber hose that ends towards the bottom of the bike frame at the front. The hose is open at the end and appears to be dripping oil.

I can't tell if it's come off of somewhere or sheared off or if it's meant to be like this.

Can someone advise if this is normal or something I need to worry about?

Pictures attached:

2. Looks like an ordinary drain hose. Where does the other end of it go?
  3. That's what I can't work out exactly. It goes up the frame and then into the tank bodywork.

My concern is that there is definitely oil dripping and if you look at the 2nd picture there is a lot of oil on the frame.
  4. Looks to me like the fuel tank overflow
  5. Well I reckon the hose is supposed to be there and be cut like that, question is why is it dripping oil? Better have a good look with a torch as to where it goes to.
  6. I concur
  7. That could make sense. I filled up just before getting home, so it could be I slightly over filled.

Still confused as to why it appears to be oily rather than petrol.

Will see what it's like in the morning.
  8. Where is petrol derived from?

Scrape your finger along it and sniff it.

By "it" I do mean the oily residue :p
  9. Did you top up the oil levels recently? It could be the breather hose like i have on my bike. Although my breather hose drains out behind the crankcase in front of the rear swingarm, i dont know where your breather hose should be. I recently overfilled the oil and when i started her up oil drained out of the breather hose because too much oil got into the upper galleries and out through the breather hose.