Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Queensland ex-Premier Campbell Newman - Liberal preselection in VIC?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by gunissan, Feb 7, 2015.

1. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-...ctorian-seat-indi/6077502?WT.ac=statenews_vic

Campbell Newman, ousted Queensland Premier, sounded out about running in Victorian seat of Indi
    Updated 25 minutes agoSat 7 Feb 2015, 11:50am

6011114-3x2-340x227. Photo: Mr Deane said it did not matter that Mr Newman does not know anything about local issues. (AAP: Matt Roberts)
    Map: Wodonga 3690
    Ousted Queensland Premier Campbell Newman is being asked to consider standing for Liberal preselection in a federal seat in Victoria.

The former secretary of the Wodonga Liberal Party branch, Lloyd Deane, wrote to Mr Newman this week asking him to reverse his decision to quit politics and stand for preselection in the seat of Indi, in northern Victoria.

He has had "very positive" feedback from other branch members but the local branch has not endorsed Mr Deane's actions.

Mr Deane said he wanted to ensure the party had the best chance of reclaiming the seat from independent Cathy McGowan, who defeated former Liberal MP Sophie Mirabella in the last federal election.

"We're hoping that preselection will start in the next six months because as you know the federal election's due next year," he said.

"We want to get the best possible candidate we can to offer to the voters of Indi."

Campbell's a natural born leader and who knows he could even have the potential to become prime minister.

Lloyd Deane, Wodonga Liberal Party branch member
    Mr Deane praised Mr Newman's "terrific" military career.

"Ten per cent of the Australian Army is stationed at Bandiana and Bonagilla, which are in the electorate, and I'm sure they'd love to have Campbell Newman as their representative," he said.

"He's a true believer in the Liberal philosophy, believes in private enterprise, freedom of the individual, reward for effort so he'd have no problem fitting in at all."

Mr Deane said it would not matter that the former Queensland premier would not know much about local issues, because a federal election was run on federal issues.

"It's like a football team. We want to attract the most talent we can to get success," he said.

"Campbell's a natural born leader and who knows, he could even have the potential to become prime minister."

2. http://www.theage.com.au/queensland...n-victorian-seat-of-indi-20150206-138czt.html

Campbell Newman approached to stand in Victorian seat of Indi

Deposed Queensland premier Campbell Newman has been sounded out as a long-shot contender for Liberal Party pre-selection in a federal seat in Victoria.

Former secretary of the Wodonga Liberal Party branch Lloyd Deane has written to Mr Newman after raising the matter at a branch meeting this week.

Mr Newman was the major casualty in last weekend's Queensland election when he lost his seat of Ashgrove and the LNP is facing defeat.

The letter's existence was a hot topic at the Nationals' gathering in Wodonga this week where its leader Warren Truss confirmed his party would be targeting the seat of Indi at the next federal election.

The local branch has not endorsed Mr Deane's actions, but he said his motivation was ensuring the party had the best chance of reclaiming Indi, which was lost to independent Cathy McGowan.

"Every Liberal Party member has got a responsibility to attract as much talent so the people of Indi have a high-quality candidate," Mr Deane said.

"It is just like a footy team.

"You've got to recruit talent if you want success.

"If the Liberals don't win the seat at the next election who knows when we will."

Branch president Craig Mundy said he was comfortable with Mr Deane's approach.

"It is not a branch-endorsed letter," Mr Mundy said.

"It is the idea of Lloyd and rightly so.

"We actively encourage members to think proactively in ways they think is going to help the party."

Attempts to contact Mr Newman for comment on Friday were unsuccessful.

Fairfax has obtained an edited copy of the letter sent by Mr Deane, who hoped Mr Newman would be interested in talking to the local branch about reversing his decision to quit politics and standing for pre-selection in Indi.

The original letter outlined a financial "war chest" available to the Liberal candidate to win back Indi.

"We ask you to consider the matter and to check out the electorate and all relevant matters," Mr Deane wrote.

"One thing I feel is relevant is that 10 per cent of Australia's army is stationed at Bandiana-Bonegilla and with your background they would love you as their representative."

Mr Newman was raised in Tasmania where his parents, Kevin and Jocelyn, were both parliamentarians. He joined the army and rose to the rank of major.

An edited transcript of the letter

Dear Campbell,

I am writing to ask if you would be interested in talking to the Wodonga branch of the Liberal Party regarding standing for pre-selection for the Federal seat of Indi.

By way of background, the Federal seat of Indi was historically a blue ribbon seat for the Liberal Party and after the 2007 Federal election our local member Sophie Mirabella enjoyed a majority of 18 per cent.

However, in the 2010 Federal election Sophie suffered a 9 per cent swing against her and then in the 2013 Federal election suffered another 9 per cent swing against her and lost the seat to independent Kathy (sic) McGowan by around 600 votes.

Unfortunately many Liberal Party supporters would not vote for Sophie although we members like her personally.

At the moment pre-selection has not commenced, although we are hoping it will be completed by June this year.

The National Party has announced they will be standing a candidate.

We had a branch meeting last night and when the matter of asking you if you would be interested in talking to us about standing for pre-selection was mentioned this suggestion was received favourably.

Of course it is a big decision for you and your wife to make.

We ask you to consider the matter and to check out the electorate and all relevant matters.

One thing I feel is relevant is that 10 per cent of Australia's army is stationed at Bandiana-Bonegilla and with your background they would love you as their representative.

If you feel anything can be gained by coming to Wodonga to talk to us I am more than happy to organise airfares and accommodation for you and Mrs Newman.

Yours Sincerely

Lloyd Deane

This story originally appeared in the Border Mail

3. So, we are to trade Tony for Campbell? That'll work!

4. He can fcuk right iff

5. The arrogance and ego of these bastards leaves me stupefied.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. #6 коннор, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    Your mouth says one thing, yet your actions speak another...

God no.

7. McsennaMcsenna said; " The arrogance and ego of these bastards leaves me stupefied."

I agree, it staggers me every time, but I am never surprised, well almost never.

I said no such thing! Joke.

Please, if there is a God, no no no!

8. It must have been an aide speaking on your behalf without consulting you, hey?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ridiculous

10. If this fcukwit comes to vic with his anti association bullsh*t i will probably lose it.
    If he becomes prime minister I will be lee harvey oswald. Not kidding in the slightest.
    My hatred for this piece of filth is on a whole other level!

11. #11 cjvfr, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    His days in politics are over, one term and to lose his own seat, political poison, The should have learned at the very least that parachuting politicians into electorates gets on the voters nose.

12. Indeed. And I can't imagine their party leader would have been given a swinging seat, so not only only did he lose his seat after his first term in office, he managed to lose a safe seat. That's quite an accomplishment.

13. The Libs held Indi forever with steady previous members until the voters eventually turfed Sophie.

Maybe they figure there's little hope of getting it back any time soon no matter who they run with.