Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Queensland Based Grey Importers

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by t_mike, Jul 9, 2009.

1. I have a bike which appears to have never been registered in any state before, and I'm in the process of jumping through hoops to get it on the road in NSW. I've checked with Aust. Dept. of Road Transport, and the bike was imported correctly, so it can be registered. I'm just waiting on the documentation from them. I will also need an engineers report, but the bike already has a Queensland Transport Modification tag, which means it's already had a report done. I don't know if the report will be accepted in NSW, that depends on whether the engineer was accredited by the RTA. I figure it's still worth investigating, so the question is, does anyone know who the major importers were in Qld in 2004 (when the bike was tagged)? If I can get some leads, I may be able to track down the engineer and get a copy of the original report.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. otobai or something like that maybe?
    arent the people who import for sumoto based in queensland?
    remember hearing that before somewhere
  3. Slacks Creek motorcycle importers.
  4. Is Octobai still around? Can't find any details on them. I've got a feeling they would have brought my bike out, but I'm not sure if they are still in business. It appears Scumoto used to source bikes from them, but are a diffent company.

On another note, does anyone know how I could find the details of the person who put the plate on the bike? I have the number, and Queensland Transport have told me it's an engineer on their register, but under privacy laws can't give the details. Hell, I only want to give the guy some business.
  5. There should be a plate on the bike with the importers details on it somewhere, mates 250 suzuki does, (Otobai).

What type of bike is it? Different importers bring in different brands & models from what I understand.
  6. Plate has no importer. I have found the engineer though, but he's not NSW accredited. Looks like I have to go through the whole ADR check ritual. Oh Well.