Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Queen's Birthday Honours???

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Dec 31, 2008.

1. I'm a royalist, or at least an anti-republican, but honestly, sometimes the decisions made in Honours Lists baffle me...

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24858967-5018541,00.html

I can live with Robert Plant, he was making great music before Lewis Hamilton was born.

And Pratchett, bless his bizzare mind, likewise has earned his stripes.

But Lewis Hamilton??? For God's sake, he's done precisely, what???

Sir Stirling Moss has done more for motor sport than any of these over-paid show-ponies, and he had to wait till he nearly had a foot in the grave for HIS gong.

It's a disgrace, and it GREATLY devalues the knighhoods of those who've done their hard miles and earned their recognition.

2. I must disagree, the only knight that deserves knighthood is the Black Knight

[​IMG]

3. :grin: :grin: I have to agree with hornet on this one

Andy.

4. Apart from winning the F1 championship (The youngest ever) some thing Moss never did not a lot.

Anyway it's only a MBE the Honours equivalent of a pat on the head...

As for Pratchett seeing as he's got Alzheimer's if they don't give him one soon he'll never know...

5. Why's that?

6. because it's a democracy and I can be.....

7. Baffles me too I thought it was the Queen's New Year's Honours!

I'm also a royalist, it's the most stable form of government!

8. You can be whatever you like, I was just wondering what made you anti-republic.

9. Good stuff to see Sir Pterry get the recognition.

10. well, the republic always leads to the empire. then what do you have?

a death star thats what.

hornet can't bring himself to vote for the dark side...
    8-[

11. Because my forebears more than 200 years ago helped make this constutional monarchy a great country, and no-one, starting with Irish Catholic convicts and right to the present day, has made anything like a convincing case to change that.

next

12. Fair enough. But you don't think it's time for the country to step out from the shadow of its heritage and stand up as an independent nation? The Monarchy are pretty much irrelevant to us now and I'm sure they don't spare us much thought! :)

13. step out from the shadow of its heritage :? :?

14. Sir Chris Hoy? :LOL: :LOL:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

15. The corrupt cesspit that was mother England 200 years ago?
    The same areswipes who subjugated the Irish and almost starved them out of existence?
    Please keep your anti catholic sentiments to yourself, you are self destructing with some of your more narrow minded views of late old boy

btw happy new year :)

16. You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. The one thing you are NOT entitled to, is to demean mine because you don't agree. Not that I care, or ever have :roll:.

oh, happy new year btw :wink:.

17. I'm not demeaning it, I'm removing your rose coloured glasses to help you see reality.
    Hope you had a good Christmas as well old boy ;)

18. I think neither of you actually do yourselves any favours. You can both, on occasion, come across as old, belligerent, intolerant, rude, aggressive and cantankerous.

But beneath it all, I know you both love each other dearly. :wink:

19. I was president of the original Black Nights, and the Queen never gave me any medals. tho the police wanted to give me plenty of citations.
    Do you think I should ask her for one or two.
    I feel so left out now.
    Brian.