Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Quality Tools

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by nibor, Jul 14, 2009.

1. im sick of having to go to mates places to work on my bike, or borrow stuff/ask for favours. time i got me some tools of my own.

i'm after a ratchet socket set, and a ring/open spanner set, i think. all metric, i dont think i have nay use for imperial sizes at the moment. unless there's any suggestions? like the idea of ratchet ring spanners too, but cost might be an issue.

i dont want shit quality tools, i hated using my old bike multi tool thingy, shit quality, just ended up rounding things off. names that mean quality to me are kincrome, sidchrome. i dont know too much about any others, hence the post. any suggestions on good quality brands, and places to buy, would be great. sure i want quality, but the cheaper i can get it, the better, too.

cheers :)
  2. Sidchrome / king chrome are what I would use. But you already konw the names.

I have a fair bit of sidchrome and never had an issue.
    I had a cheap socket set and started wrecking the bits so have forked out some money for decent tools.
  3. Toledo is another decent brand.

I'm keeping an eye out for 2nd hand tools for bike maintenance. Mechanics tend to turn over their tools since there's tax incentives etc.
  4. Is Snap-on still about? are they still over priced? because they used to be the ducks nuts.
  5. Snap on not bad but $$$ at least they were

Sidchrome = good :) I know cause I order the stuff for work :wink:
  6. oh yeah, anyone with contacts who can get me cheaper prices, feel free to post :p

im working in a warehouse directly across from Kincrome actually, i really should go ask them....
  7. I have some Kincrome tools, but they are not as nice to handle and use as my Repco socket set. When it comes to tools, I highly recommend buying NOW what you would still want to have and be using in 40 years.

Re Sidchrome: their tools had a cult following in the mechanical trades for decades, but part of that came from the no nonsense warranty they USED to have. It was pretty much on an exchange basis. I believe that is no longer the case - broken or damaged tools (sockets etc) need to be returned for assessment. My Repco stuff that is now going on 15 years old had and still has an exchange warranty. I tested this when the direction selector on the 1/2" ratchet handle broke. The local Repco here in Sunbury swapped it and a 17mm deep socket with flaking chrome on the spot, no question and no charge.

Also, compared to a number of other brands, I think the Sidchrome ratchet handles are - and always were - rough.
  8. Stahlwille !
    German made, the spanners I have had lasted over 32 years.
    Not sure if they are still avail though
  9. I bought a complete SupaTool socket set.

Cheap but they do the job as well as anything else.

One day I'll get Sidchrome. (Stares dreamily out the window)
  10. ...I work with some!! :roll: ...sorry...someone had to say it!! :p
  11. If you are really good and sit on Santa's lap you might get some for xmas lol
  12. But that means I have to be a good boy. Where's the fun in that? :demon:
  13. Dad screwed up a few years ago and accidentally unplugged a freezer in the shed, lost about $1000 worth of beef. I found said unplugged freezer and realised and told dad, he told me what ever I do, don't tell mum. I told him it would cost him a socket set.
  14. Not gonna advise you on what brands of tools are the best cos really, youre gonna get different answers from EVERYONE.

What I will say is this.

Go out and buy shitty tools to start with. Supacheap auto junk if need be. Dont spend heaps and heaps tho.

Then, as you used the tools more and more often, the ones that you use the most will inevitably break SO then go out and replace these broken ones with a good quality brand. Slowly replace your tools with good ones.

No point in spending big bucks on a whole heap of tools you hardly use.

As for a good quality tool to start with, without paying snap-on prices, head down to Total Tools. They offer good quality tools to start with that wont break the bank. Ive slowly started replacing mine with better ones now but ive had them for a few years without problems.
  15. I've had positive dealings with this mob before: www.justtools.com.au

Good service, prices are not especially cheap, but they have a fantastic range. The website is also good to browse to get a feel for what's out there. When I've ordered off them, I've found their service and delivery time to be excellent.

All I will say re brands is that the best quality brand will depend on the specific tool you're looking at. I don't think there is one brand out there that is consistently best for everything - with the possible exception of Snap-On, whose prices are frankly insane unless you're a professional.
  16. Or you could have a sit down and think about what tools you are going to actually use - a socket set, coupla screwdrivers, torque wrench = no brainer. I wouldn't be wasting money on crap. Get decent tools in the first place. Buy as you need for any other stuff.

+1 for the Repco. It's good kit.
  17. I have a stanly ratchet set(little black box) from bunnings about $50 but its a great little set cause it has the ring through so when its a long bolt it actually passes through the ratchet ring unlike normal ones where it hits the ratchet and you cant tighten or lossen anymore.

taken my vtr apart with it the only problen was getting the front fender off cause it was an 8mm bolt and no room to get to it so a chepo screwdriver and hex bit and vise grips cause it was on to tight got to it
  18. I also disagree with the "buy rubbish first and replace" idea. Waste of time and money, and you'll be tempted to get by without updating because apart from buying the rubbish first it's the single most expensive way to buy tools - one at a time.

On Jap bikes, most common sizes are 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 17mm, with some occasional bigger stuff (22, 24, 27mm).

I have a 1/2" drive set that covers just about everything between 8mm and 32mm, with deep sockets between 10mm and 19mm. Just about everything gets used at least once every few months on something that goes.

3/8" would be better because you have less bulky tools and better feel. I went 1/2" because I could only afford one set and needed to work on things with more wheels. 1/4" is great for small stuff on bikes. I'd love a set, but I'll wait until I can buy a good one.

An all round kit like this would be ideal if you are starting from absolute zero. Ignore the pain as you part with your hard earned, and enjoy good tools for life.
  19. I initially bought the cheap Supatools brands when I was starting out, and while they served me pretty well, they are starting to show there weaknesses when used by a serious DIYer.

My reccomendation would be to go for a good middle of the range set from Kinchrome or even the Totaltools own brand. I have also heard some very good things from Bahco as well. Look after them and they will last a long time, and the saving's over the super premium brands, you could get yourself some nice specialized tools such as multimeters, torque wrenches, easy outs (The list is endless...). It's what I would do if I was starting out again.

Sidchrome would be nice and Snap On or Stahwille would just be a dream to use, but some of the prices they ask for these is just out of the realm of the home handyman. A guy who earns his bread from tools would think differently but they rely totally on a tool doing it's job all the time without fail.

Power tools are a different kettle of fish entirely.
  20. I have a quality tool...

Who's with me?

Sorry...but apart from that, I have been going and buying a good quality tool every time I need one. You need so few for a bike that I figured it's not a bad way of doing it. Three or four sockets, three or four pairs of open ended/ring spanners.

Its not like when I used to work on cars a lot and needed a full set of tools (used to work on Jap cars AND BMC cars, so needed imperial and metric, big and small), and living in a flat means I just have a few select good ones.

+1 kinchrome but even if you get the next one or two down, it'll still be miles ahead of the cheap shit I used to buy :grin: