Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Quality textile gear - opinions sought

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Tas man, May 5, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I'm in the market for some new textile gear, and like to buy at the upper end of the market as I believe the quality is worth the cost.

I'm currently looking towards the following jackets (with equivalent pants):

-dainese tundra
    -rev'it defender
    -rev'it Everest

Do any of you have any experiences it's these jackets? I would be interested in your feedback.

I'm also interested in the Tiger Angel textile range. Does anyone here use thir textile gear? What price do they run at? I'm quite content to spent 7 or 8 hundred on a jacket and 5 hundred on pants, if they are of the required quality.

I ride every day (rain, hail or shine) and am after warm gear that can handle the conditions we get here in the south. Warmth and waterproofness are my two main criteria, slightly ahead of comfort and long lasting qualities.
  2. I wear tiger angel textiles most of the time in Melbourne. good stuff. think its around $600 for a jacket and $500 for the pants. had them around 4 years, repaired once and I reproof them every 18 months or so. (the gortex keeps them waterproof but the outer can absorb water and get cold). done 4+ hours in the rain and stayed dry. steve raced bikes for years and knows how to design motorcycle gear.
  3. +1 for Tiger Angel gear. I've got their "Elements" gear and it's extremely good quality.

I've survived a good few icicle rides with it.

Another thing with Tiger Angel is that it's not sweatshop produced. They place an emphasis on that.
  4. You'd be a marketing guy's wet dream. I would barely spend that on a quality leather set.

Remember that no matter how well made it may be, textiles will only last as long as the time the first jaunt down the road takes.
  5. Tiger Angel will also do repairs. It cost me <$20 to have my jacket repaired after a 40km/hr trip down the road. You'll stay warmer and dryer in Cordura type gear than in any leather gear.
  6. 40 km/h isn't particularly major though. How much damage did it take?
  7. cost me $100 to repair jacket and pants after a similar slide. advantage of buying from then is they do repairs.
  8. Damaged the stitching on a pocket which had to be replaced - Draggin' Jeans charged me $5 to replace the denim on a knee panel. (It should have been $10 but they didn't have any change)
  9. All due respect, but that's your choice not mine.

I also regard riding apparel as an item to be discarded once involved in a collision which damages it. Same as a helmet.

Again, my choice.
  10. Thanks for the feedback on the tiger angel gear. I was very interested in it as they state a lot of good specs...
  11. I'm drooling over the HELD textile jacket and pants as advertised on sportbiketrackgear.com ... looks absolutely amazing.

Doesn't help you any, but I thought I'd share :D
  12. Dryrider.
  13. I agree with raven. The Dririder stuff is good. I've heard some criticism of it, but it's worked well for me. I've got leathers but they don't keep me warm enough when it gets really cold and I can only stuff so much merino under them. I've got a Dririder climate control 2 (I think it is??) that I got last summer and thought it would be next to useless for winter, but with the internal linings inserted it's great.
  14. I rode from Werribee to Hastings and return in the rain yesterday and was snug in a bug warm and dry for the whole trip. My Tiger Angel Element jacket and pants rock.
    Total cost = $1130.

Quality=cost in my books...IMHO...
  15. I'm glad that tiger angel are getting lots of votes. A thinking I might just get their gear and be done with it. Also nice to support an Aussie company.
  16. Best I've found is MotoDry, none of their stuff looks flash from the outside, but it's so far the only jacket that's kept me dry all winter in Tas. I'm a bit of a gear whore but my $200 cheapy from Motoworks is the winner so far
    Dririder - good for in the dri only lol
    • Like Like x 1
  17. dont buy dririder, their gear is terrible!

in 20 mins of riding in the rain, my dririder had left me 100% saturated. and i mean 100% saturated.

My friend in his leather suit was drier

my leather suit which is perforated for airflow has kept me drier in simillier conditions.

dririder = junk.
  18. dririder has improved a lot in recent times. (still rubbish but improved)
    check out the 2012 range. i'm liking the urban hoody.
    unfortunately it's easy to come across their much older products in stores here. which were of very poor quality. an exception would be the nordic jacket, which was quite a good jacket. not quite good enough to keep you dry and warm on the coldest, wettest days, but still good for the price.

motodry.. well, at least their latest stuff uses real cordura.

i would'nt like to slide in either brand, but hey, i live by rule number 1

seeing as the op has more money than sense though. the rev'it top shelf stuff is right up there, but not the very best money can buy http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/textile-motorcycle-jackets/ergo-expedition.html

you can find older generation spidi ergos in Aus stores, but see if they will price match. riders discount sells the ergo 05 for 600 bucks i think. which is good. they used to do cheap shipping too
  19. I don't believe you. Or you bought the cheapest!, expecting it to perform like a high value version. I've got a complete dririder suit and have done day trips in torrential rain. I was dry. By days end, the collar was starting leak a little. So the neck of my skivvy got damp towards the end, but that's nothing. Mines a Nordic-2 I think.

I i have both regular and perforated leathers. 10 mins on the road in pouring rain, and it's running down my back, or leaking like a sieve through the vented suite.