Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Qualifiers… Why Bother?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by FALCON-LORD, Sep 11, 2009.

1. I get qualifying tires. You have to do a damned fast lap so you put the stickiest rubber you can on your bike, and you brake later and harder, you accelerate harder and earlier. And Life is good.

But on a control tire why bother?
    If they are serious about limiting the number of tyres used for a weekend. And they use a control tire, then why not just say No Qualifiers to the tire manufacturer who is bringing the rubber.

Yeah every one will be qualifying on the softest rubber available still but at least limit it to something that is a race worthy option.

So in the world of control tires why have qualifiers?
  2. Because we can.
  3. Only World Superbikes use qualifiers and they're explicity to add spice to the show.

Watching Motogp qualifying lacks something now there are no Q tyres. The qualifying crazies like RdP no longer throw in a super sticky tyre and run 2s quicker than they have all weekend. Lots of riders now set their quickest times fairly early on in the session. It's only the top 4 or 5 who get quicker and quicker all session.

In World Superbike the intent was to add to the show by limiting the riders to 2 qualifiers for their 3 sessions, thereby adding drama to when people decide to throw them on. Put them on too early, you have nothing for Q3, put them on too late and you might not make it out of Q1. Oh the dilema!!
  4. .....aaah.....no you don't.
  5. And your reasoning behind that statement is???
  6. I'm with you FL, there seems to be some sort of irrelevance to them. Like you have to set your bike/car for qualifying, then reset it into race mode. Shouldn't you have to qualify in the same set up as race trim? It does seem like an added unnecessary expense, hence the reason they dont do it at club level I imagine. These tyres that last one lap seem a bit ridiculous. Still, I dont think any series has got the balance right, probably why they keep chopping and changing it.