Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD vs VIC rego

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Fixer16, May 5, 2010.

1. Hi all - newbie here so first off thanks for this great source of info. Secondly apologies if this topic has already been covered(It's similar to QuarterWit from yesterday)
    I'm wondering if I'm breaking the law(which one?) if I continue to ride a [QLD] registered bike as a permanent [VIC] resident.
    Reason is my QLD renewal came in the mail with 12 months costing me $237.10 (incl CTP)
    Called Vicroads to ask about transfer to VIC rego and it's going to cost me
    $550 + $30 for the plate.

Any info/advice would be appreciated.

2. Don't know the actual law but you have three months to change it over once you have an address here. And yes the cost is a rort!
  3. Basically, you *HAVE* to make the change to wherever you have a permanent address. Whether you'll ever get stopped, fined or challenged over it is a different thing altogether.

I kept my Vic registration for all vehicles until they ran out and then changed them over as they expired. However I was told that the golden rule is really to make everything match. If you have a Vic licence, you really need the bike transferred and vice-versa. My logic is the less a reason I provide the powers that be to make my day a pain the better.

IMO, the Vic registration is a better system, with the no fault and all benefits nature of TAC should you ever be unfortunate enough to have a fall.
  4. Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I'll have to suck it up and pay Brumby.
  5. What ive been told is that once you have a drivers license that is different to the rego of the vehicle you are driving, you are no longer covered by the CTP from that rego incase you hurt someone. (just moved from vic to qld)
    Youll be able to get away with driving on a qld rego as long as you have a qld license. If you dont, then if a copper stops you, youll really have to play your words well.
    If you have relatives/friends living in qld, then theres nothing stopping you from keeping ur qld rego...
  6. Don't know if this is right but at the end of the day we all live in the commonwealth of Australia. As long as the bike is registered in one of the states that should suffice you'd think.
  7. You'd think so but state law on registration and licences is very clear.